• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Upgrading a 3CX 8.x system to the new 9.x system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvs4man

Reaction score
Can I upgrade my 8.x system to the 9.x system and keep all my configuration for my VoIP service provider, auto-attendant and extensions in-tact?

Let me know.

Thanks.

There should be no reason why not. From what I've seen, you have to go this route (version 8 first) if you want to upgrade from version 7 to version 9. You have to do a backup of your system, install the new version and then apply the backup. If you search the 3CX site (on version 9) you should find all of the information you are looking for.

When you say backup, you mean a configuration backup, right? Not the whole application itself, since restoring that would overwrite the upgrade process to v9.

Let me know. Thanks.

1. Use the 3cx Backup and Restore Tool to create a backup of your pbx
  2. if you have customized your phone templates, back them up separately (Don't know how required this is - but I did find I lost some custom settings in my provisioning templates that I had to put back in)
  3. Uninstall 3cx
  4. Run the installation checker that comes up after you uninstall 3cx. this makes sure there are no left-over files, etc
  5. Install new version of 3cx
  6. When given the option between creating a new pbx and restoring a backup, restore the backup you created previously
  7. Wait. It will take a while.

I would HIGHLY recommend running it once in a test environment before doing it on your production system - and as always - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD FULL BACKUP - just in case.

Thanks. Will do. Thanks salter for all the input/information.

I forgot 8. - check your templates (again, if you had customized them to begin with) and re-apply any changes. I don't recommend just copying your old templates over as the 3cx staff does make GOOD changes - but you may need to "merge" your changes with theirs. - Then restart the 3cx services to reload the modified templates.

salter said:
I forgot 8. - check your templates (again, if you had customized them to begin with) and re-apply any changes. I don't recommend just copying your old templates over as the 3cx staff does make GOOD changes - but you may need to "merge" your changes with theirs. - Then restart the 3cx services to reload the modified templates.

Hi Chavous,

Each time when I read about "restart 3cx services" I 'm getting angry... :mrgreen:
99.9% of changes doesn't require restart.
the rest is - direct changes in database using third party tool, changing of logging level and changing of stratup options (.ini files)

Are you sure that the restart of 3cx services is required in case if changes are made for templates?

SY said:
Each time when I read about "restart 3cx services" I 'm getting angry... :mrgreen:

You know, they have counseling for that... :p

SY said:
99.9% of changes doesn't require restart.
the rest is - direct changes in database using third party tool, changing of logging level and changing of stratup options (.ini files)

Are you sure that the restart of 3cx services is required in case if changes are made for templates?

I will find the thread, but I was advised by one of your guys that if you edit templates outside of 3cx then one of the services needs to be restarted... Might have been the web service, which means my post would be wrong - you'd need to restart IIS or Abyss to reload the templates.

Hello,

We have version 7.1.7

if I want version 9... do I need to upgrade to version 8 first and then 9 ?

OR can I just backup my version 7 and then uninstall... install version 9 and do the restore of my version 7 backup?

Also is verison 9 a stable version and is the upgrade from 7.1.7 worth it in terms of features and voice quality ?

thanks!!

In terms of Voice Quality, V9 is the same as V7.

You can try to directly upgrade from V7 to V9 as we've have much success with these kind of upgrades.

Thanks for the response.

Is the upgrade seamless in terms of migrating all the gateways, settings, extensions, voicemail recordings etc ?

Lastly, are there any noteworthy features of version 9 to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Thanks!!

There are many new features since V7. It is always good practice to read the release notes/change log for any new software.

V8 is here http://www.3cx.com/blog/news/3cx-phone-system-9-rc2/

V9 is here (RC1) http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-v9-rc1/

and here (RC2) http://www.3cx.com/blog/news/3cx-phone-system-9-rc2/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.