• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Upgrading from Debian 8 to Debian 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

nb

Support Team
Reaction score
This upgrade method is deprecated and we cannot guarantee it will work as originally designed. Please backup your PBX and follow the information provided here and here. You can also contact our support team to assist you in upgrading your PBX in a timely manner. As you already might have heard, Debian 9 \"Stretch\" is released. And boy, the improve...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! And thanks for the detailed video. I have some questions.
1. When you remove 3CX, the configuring of the PBX is also reseting? I will take a back up before try to upgrate just in case. But, if I understood it right, when you reinstall 3CX the configuring has been kept as it was and you can connect to the Dashboard. Am I right?
2. After the upgrade and after the cleaning up, the command line keeps starting with root@debianjessie8:~# . Why is that? Is something that the cleaning didn't remove? Shouldn't it be something like root@debianstretch9:~# ?

@Konstantinos Arch

The debianjessie8 part of the prompt is the hostname so you'd have to change that manually.

During the unattended script install, you are prompted to update ntp.conf. I assume updating is fine and will not cause any issues? (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• ntp-conf.PNG
    ntp-conf.PNG
    45.5 KB · Views: 22
will this script work with a ovh installation? If not, is there a guide for people hosting their pbx on ovh?

Last edited:
I did the upgrade based on the video. I started with the 3CX ISO (Debian 8) a few weeks ago as the base for this upgrade. Not too much problems, but here are some notes:

1) PGSQL upgrade might hang on LOCALE issues. If the problem is that LC_ALL is (unset), this might help:
> export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 (or adjust to your personal situation)
> restart pg_upgradecluster

2) after reinstall of the 3cxpbx package there might be some problems (i think related to changes in locale settings) where logging in the webinterface is not possible and language prompts are not translated to the set language.
> Reboot and check status again, things might work and you can continue housekeeping tasks

this command did not work for me
apt -y --force-yes install libcurl3=7.38.0-4+deb8u5

i get
E: Version '7.38.0-4+deb8u5' for 'libcurl3' was not found
and now I can't finish the upgrade so my 3cx is now not working. what do i do to fix it?

this command did not work for me
apt -y --force-yes install libcurl3=7.38.0-4+deb8u5

i get
E: Version '7.38.0-4+deb8u5' for 'libcurl3' was not found
and now I can't finish the upgrade so my 3cx is now not working. what do i do to fix it?
Never mind i'm re-installing from scratch with the new ISO and using my backup to restore. Seems to be easier than the upgrade option described in the post.

does this script work for the hosted google instances of debian?

What about PBX Express? Are the mentioned guidelines applicable for PBX Express which was deployed (I assume) with Debian 8?

Thanks,
Igor

Yes, you can use it in PBXexpress GC instances

Have a look as we made a new version of the script and I have used it on my Google Deb8 15.5 Sp1 and all was fine.

I wanted to check what version / service pack I have running already on the Linux box.. but the Dashboard does not say anywhere. What is the best way to check? Even the License tab is vague as it does not list the SP and the system says it is "up to date".

I don't want to run something without knowing what the system is at now.

@Imaxinar DM

You can see the exact build number of the PBX on the Dashboard under the Information column next to the licence. The current version is 15.5.6354.2 (SP2). If you are on an earlier version you can what service pack that is by comparing it with the change log.

Hi,

Today I upgrade Debian 8.10 to Debian 9.3 using the script as describe in the blog post and all went well.
The blog post was very helpful and I am very happy now.
This is what I want to let you know.
Thanks.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
this script appears to kill the linux guest environment rending ssh connections on GC console dead. i'm following the instructions but must be doing something wrong.

3cx can you address this in your script?

Capture.JPG

The script failed at the first time. I had to roll back to a pre-upgrading snapshot.
The second time it worked. But issuing commands "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" would then uninstall 3cxpbx package. Is there anything wrong?

The pre-upgrading doesn't seem to work to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artioslab
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.