Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Upgrading from Debian 8 to Debian 9

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nb, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    complex1 and eddv123 like this.
  2. Konstantinos Arch

Great news! And thanks for the detailed video. I have some questions.
    1. When you remove 3CX, the configuring of the PBX is also reseting? I will take a back up before try to upgrate just in case. But, if I understood it right, when you reinstall 3CX the configuring has been kept as it was and you can connect to the Dashboard. Am I right?
    2. After the upgrade and after the cleaning up, the command line keeps starting with root@debianjessie8:~# . Why is that? Is something that the cleaning didn't remove? Shouldn't it be something like root@debianstretch9:~# ?

3. jvivona

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

@Konstantinos Arch

The debianjessie8 part of the prompt is the hostname so you'd have to change that manually.

5. techsitters

During the unattended script install, you are prompted to update ntp.conf. I assume updating is fine and will not cause any issues? (screenshot attached)

Attached Files:

6. OCWI

OCWI New Member

will this script work with a ovh installation? If not, is there a guide for people hosting their pbx on ovh?

7. jvivona

8. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

#8 sip.bg, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. A. Post

I did the upgrade based on the video. I started with the 3CX ISO (Debian 8) a few weeks ago as the base for this upgrade. Not too much problems, but here are some notes:

1) PGSQL upgrade might hang on LOCALE issues. If the problem is that LC_ALL is (unset), this might help:
    > export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 (or adjust to your personal situation)
    > restart pg_upgradecluster

2) after reinstall of the 3cxpbx package there might be some problems (i think related to changes in locale settings) where logging in the webinterface is not possible and language prompts are not translated to the set language.
    > Reboot and check status again, things might work and you can continue housekeeping tasks

10. Phone systems NZ

this command did not work for me
    apt -y --force-yes install libcurl3=7.38.0-4+deb8u5

i get
    E: Version '7.38.0-4+deb8u5' for 'libcurl3' was not found
    and now I can't finish the upgrade so my 3cx is now not working. what do i do to fix it?

11. Phone systems NZ

Never mind i'm re-installing from scratch with the new ISO and using my backup to restore. Seems to be easier than the upgrade option described in the post.

12. network51

does this script work for the hosted google instances of debian?

13. Igor Vitorac

What about PBX Express? Are the mentioned guidelines applicable for PBX Express which was deployed (I assume) with Debian 8?

Thanks,
    Igor

14. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes, you can use it in PBXexpress GC instances

Have a look as we made a new version of the script and I have used it on my Google Deb8 15.5 Sp1 and all was fine.

15. Imaxinar DM

I wanted to check what version / service pack I have running already on the Linux box.. but the Dashboard does not say anywhere. What is the best way to check? Even the License tab is vague as it does not list the SP and the system says it is "up to date".

I don't want to run something without knowing what the system is at now.

16. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@Imaxinar DM

You can see the exact build number of the PBX on the Dashboard under the Information column next to the licence. The current version is 15.5.6354.2 (SP2). If you are on an earlier version you can what service pack that is by comparing it with the change log.

17. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Hi,

Today I upgrade Debian 8.10 to Debian 9.3 using the script as describe in the blog post and all went well.
    The blog post was very helpful and I am very happy now.
    This is what I want to let you know.
    Thanks.

YiannisH_3CX likes this.
  18. network51

this script appears to kill the linux guest environment rending ssh connections on GC console dead. i'm following the instructions but must be doing something wrong.

3cx can you address this in your script?

Capture.JPG

19. Nam Tran

The script failed at the first time. I had to roll back to a pre-upgrading snapshot.
    The second time it worked. But issuing commands "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade --yes" would then uninstall 3cxpbx package. Is there anything wrong?

20. Camsder

The pre-upgrading doesn't seem to work to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.