• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Upgrading from trial, with backup to new license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbojones

Reaction score
Hello, I thought i would post this as a new user, its a solution i found to a problem i had and it might help someone else out.

I successfully got the free version of 3cx working as a test for our little business, and decided to buy a standard version, I didn't look first on the 3CX website about the issues with upgrading, i just bought it.

I immediately found you can't just change the license to your new one and carry on. So i rang the reseller and they said just backup 3CX unistall and install again using the backup, and the new license key, I was dubious as I didn't think it would ask for the license as it says on the website that the license details are in the backup.

That didn't work, I just ended up with my old system up and running again.

My next attempt was to uninstall, install with the new license a fresh system and then use the old backup from the setup system, this didn't work as it says that the backup contains a different license to the one I installed with.

I should say in all of this if you're using a 3CX FQDN then you need to release it from your trial account version if you want to reuse it, I'm using my own FQDN and SSL so it didn't matter for me.

So for anyone in this situation the solution is simple, complete a fresh install with new license key, unzip your old backup from the trial version, open the XML file in the main folder of the backup with notepad, or similar, search for your old trial license, when you find it replace with your new license key, save the xml file, zip all the files back up, place it in you backup/restore directory and then restore from that new altered backup. It works fine, dunno why they don't give that as the solution on the site. If this is common knowledge(its not in the manual) sorry for posting again.

Thanks

Hello @jimbojones

Thank you for your post and your solution but the solution is in fact simpler than what you described.
If you just want to upgrade your license from free to a paid version keeping the 3CX FQDN then just contact a reseller and just upgrade your existing license key. Then once the upgrade on the key is done just go to license click Edit and Ok and you are done. Your licence has been upgraded and re-install needed.
If you do want to use your own FQDN and certificate then just perform a backup without including licence and FQDN information and use that backup to re-install the system. During the installation you will be asked for the new licence and FQDN.
If you do happen to buy a new licence and want to retain the 3CX FQDN then the extra step is to release it from the previous (free licence).

Reactions: craigreilly
As I mentioned in my post, I spoke to the reseller, they told me that i should uninstall and reinstall, they didn't at any point say they could just upgrade my license, and what they told me doesnt work, I guess some of your resellers need a bit of training.

Hey Jim,

sorry to hear about your experience while upgrading you PBX and the miss information been provided. We even cover this case in one of our academy videos: https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/advanced-installation/

Really, the implest would be an upgrade of the existing key. Depending where you are at with your case, we shall cancel your order (via the partner), revoke the issued key and map the order to an key upgrade (price is the same) of you current install.

Can you reach out to our sales team and refer to this post to make your upgrade a smooth as possible.
https://www.3cx.com/company/contact/

Jim, it may be that the reseller sold you a new licence instead of an upgrade licence. Did your reseller take note of your current licence number? It is as simple as Yiannis said. I just did one with a client this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWinker
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.