Upgrading from v9 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by goodwija, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwija

I installed my 3CX system a number of years ago and updated it until it hit v9.15781. It has remained stable since then as I had no need of the new facilities introduced in later versions.

I'd now like to bring the system right up to date (I have continued my maintenance payments) as part of a move to a virtualised environment.

Via the phone system management console I went to 3CX Service Pack/Updates expecting to see every version since v9 listed but nothing is shown.

My basic question is, how do I get up to v12 SP1 now. I'd like to keep all of my existing config/setup.

Thanks

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The latest version (12) requires a complete install as upgrading is not possible thru the update screens. You can obtain the software with SP1 from the 3CX website. Look in the blog for the release notes & software as I strongly encourage you to read them before making the change as there is quite a bit of functional difference. You may also want to wait a week or so as it is rumored that SP2 for V12 will be out shortly.

In any event, make a backup of your existing installation and make sure that the backup passes its verification tests and that you also have a copy of the V9 software just in case you need to revert. Uninstall V9 and any of the Assistant clients and 3cx softphones that may be installed.

While I am not certain, I do think migrating directly from V9 to V12 is supported, but again read all the release notes for all the V12 versions to be certain. Go back to the original Beta releases on the blog and work your way forward as each release had features and big fixes.

Also keep in mind that as the Versions have progressed, the supported hardware and OS platforms have changed as well.

Finally, assuming the migration is supported, install the software and then restore your backup. You should then have an updates system and can make the decisions about the new client that replaced the Assistant and MyPhone applications from the prior versions.

3. complex1

complex1 Active Member

You need to go to v11 first and then to v12.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. goodwija

Thanks for both responses. I will take a look at the blog and hold on for SP2.

5. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

I would recommend if you have the resources available to spin up a separate 3CX system weather it is a virtual or a physical box for testing. Load V11 on the unit.
    Backup your V9 config and run a restore on this "test" setup. If it looks like it upgrades good. Backup the V11, uninstall the V11 and install the V12 and restore it again. If all looks good then you could move it to production.

V12 SP2 is now available as well.
    If you need are more help with the upgrade steps let us know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Also the system requirements for supported operating systems has changed a lot so make sure you are using a supported operating system before you upgrade or make sure to include that in your plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.