upgrading to v 15

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by asinshesq, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asinshesq

I have version 12.5 professional edition with a maintenance contract through august 2017. When I go to the updates part of the UI I see that I am supposedly up to date. But I also notice that version 15 is now out. Should I be upgrading to that, and if so how should I do that since the upgrade section of the UI reports that I am up to date?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You are up to date for version 12.5. You will net see a version upgrade in your updates section.
    To install a new version you will have to backup your current system un-install v12.5 and install v15 restoring from your backup.
    V12.5 is still supported though. Having maintenance allows you to upgrade your key automatically to newer versions.
    Upgrading to V15 or not depends on you and your requirements.

4. asinshesq

Thanks. If I backup, then uninstall 12.5 and install 15, and then restore from the backup, will the restore re-enter my license key, reactivate my setup and retain my maintenance rights, or do I need to do anything special to assure that result? In the past, I have had problems with restoring (where some settings got lost and my license got messed up), but perhaps that was on earlier updates where the process wasn't as smooth?

5. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

The restore will read the license key from your backup but will ask you for an FQDN. If you own a FQDN it will ask you for a certificate. You will need to have a certificate for your FQDN. If you do not have a FQDN then you will be given the option to be given one by 3CX which can also generate a certificate for you. The FQDN will be active as long as you have maintenance and the SSL certificate will update automatically.
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/fqdn-ssl-certificate-v15/

One more thing you need to do if you are coming from v12.5 is convert call history
    To convert call history after upgrading to v15 directly from 12.5 you will need to run a tool that will inject the call history from the 12.5 backup into the v15 install.
    After the upgrade locate and run CHconverter.exe from C:\Program Files\3CX Phone System\Instance1\Bin. It will ask you for the path of the v12.5 backup file using in the upgrade, type in the location of the v12.5 backup.zip file and press enter.

6. asinshesq

Thanks for that helpful info. A couple of follow up questions:

- is v 15 beta or final (should I just be upgrading to 14 if I don't want beta)?

- how does my license associate with a particular pc? Can I install 3cx on a new pc rather than the one I had been using? (I would only use it on one pc at a time, of course.). And can I have it installed and active on two pcs (again using only one at a time) so that I can have a easy backup server to swap to if I have problems with my main pc?

7. daktur

daktur New Member

The certificate explanation wasnt clear to me.

It does not work the same way v14?

Can I use my FQDN without certificate?

8. Sopock

Sopock Member

Certificate Not Trusted

nginx-problem-45289.html
    Beta was in June, but you can also expect SP2 soon.
    Standby Licence in Enterprise only :?:

9. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@ asinshesq

V15 as Sopock correctly said is not in Beta. We are currently on SP1.
    License is tied to a networks card mac address but it will probably allow you to activate it once on a different PC. IF not then you should contact whomever you bought your license from to sort it out.

@daktur
    On V15 you need to provide a certificate during the installation. Without one you can not proceed with the installation. there are quite a few ways of obtaining a certificate. Please read the following guides for more information

http://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-ssl-certificate-v15/

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/ssl-crt-csr/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.