Upgrading v14 Multi tenant to v15.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RyanF, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanF

Hi Everyone

We have around 7 clients running 3cx v14 installed on a multi tenant system(Not managed by us). What we would like to do is move each of these clients to their own Windows VM which we will have access too and at the same time upgrade them to v15.5.

Would I just be able to backup these clients in the 3cx management console then restore this backup to the new v15 installation? I am not to worried about the FQDN name and in same cases would actually prefer using a different FQDN which 3cx generates. Something like ryanf.3cx.co.za(Thank you for showing South Africa some love!!)

If i wanted to change the FQDN would that be possible it would I have to stay with the same one? If there is a blog post with the steps provided that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

RyanF

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @RyanF

Please note that the V14 backup does not associate the licence key with the FQDN. That is done from V15 and higher. So you can just take the V14 backup and use it to upgrade to V15.5. Please note that you need to restore the V14 backup during the installation because after the installation the system will allow you to restore a V15.5 backup.
    Once you let the installer know that you are installing from backup and point it to the backup, the licence key will be detected and you will be asked to choose an FQDN (please make sure you have an active maintenance). From there you can opt for a 3CX FQDN or your own.

Please note that in case or remote extensions those will need to be re-provisioned if you change your FQDN.
    https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/videos/intermediate/upgrading/

3. RyanF

Hi YiannisH

Thanks again for your quick response.

Could you please clarify this? "Please note that you need to restore the V14 backup during the installation because after the installation the system will allow you to restore a V15.5 backup."

We have remote phones provisioned but they are provisioned with DHCP option 66 so we will just change the URL and re provision there.

Thanks

RyanF

4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry for that, what i meant was "Please note that you need to restore the V14 backup during the installation because after the installation the system will not allow you to restore a V14 backup"

5. RyanF

Great. Sounds simple enough.

Thanks again for all the help.

RyanF

6. RyanF

Hi

Looks like i was unable to choose a FQDN. The installer randomly generated one. Is there a way to change the FQDN? I would like a fqdn that is easy to remember and use. The current maintenance license is valid for another month however after 1 month we will be changing the key for a different one.

Kind Regards

Ryan Fincham

7. RyanF

I did use v15.5 installer. Should i try with v15?

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

The only way the installer chose an FQDN automatically is that the key was activated on a V15 previously. You need to log in to your partner portal an release the key from the FQDN. Then un-install and restore your backup again.

When you will need to change your key then you will need to perform a backup without licence and FQDN, un-install v15.5 release the key from the FQDN and re-install. This is the only way to change licence keys in V15 and V15.5

9. RyanF

Looks like I came right with a v15 SP1 installer.

The first time I did use v15.5 installer with the web console setup and not command line. The second time I used v15 sp1 but with command line and it gave the option to choose a FQDN. I don't know if the issue was because of the the v15.5 installer or because I didn't use the command line installer.

However I managed to come right by uninstalling the 3cx and re installing it with the same backup using the command line.

We have a few more customers to do next week so will test again with v15.5 and command line and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.