Uploading new dailplan for Cisco 7940 for immediate dialing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by qsjam, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qsjam

Hi, apologies for any errors in explanation or ignorance of facts, I'm new to the voip world!

We are investigating swapping our old analogue pbx with a voip system and I like 3CX because, A its windows based and B the control interface seems very user friendly. + all the extra functions.

We bought some old 7940s and downloaded the free software to do testing with and I've successfully converted them to SIP and got them connected to 3cx and they are dialing fine, so now I'm trying to fine tune some settings.

At the moment I have to press 'dial' or '#' after typing an extension number in order to start it dialing (or wait 10 seconds then it auto dials) and I need to change this (as staff are not used to doing this & it will upset them!).

After doing some research I found I could create a rule in the dial plan to accomplish this?
    Something along the lines of <TEMPLATE MATCH="3..." Timeout="0" User="Phone"/>

Or [2-8]xx to dial 3 number extensions straight away (though not sure how to convert this to code?).

My problem is how do I re-upoad the dial plan to the phones? I have added the code to the 'cisco_dialplan.xml' file and tried to TFPT it via the 'put file' in Pumpkin but it just times out? Do I have to remove the sip firmware and then put it back on?

Any help would be great! Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: Uploading new dailplan for Cisco 7940 for immediate dial

I was successful in getting a dialplan to work with a 7961, but did not try with a 7960. The 79X0 sets make use of cnf files, so watch the tftp server upon booting the set to see if it actually looks for a dialplan.xml file to download. The cnf file may have to be modified to tell it to download a dialplan file. Something like... <dialTemplate>dialplan.xml</dialTemplate>

If it does, then checkout this site...http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+7970+SIP

Scroll down to Dialplan Notes, there is an example, and an explanation on how the dialplan works. You can save the example as an xml file, then edit it (customize) with something like... http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

3. qsjam

Hi thanks for replying, that's a great webpage, I've followed it and created a dialplan.xml file in Dreamweaver as follows:

<DIALTEMPLATE>
    <TEMPLATE MATCH="*" TIMEOUT="5" User="Phone"/>

<TEMPLATE MATCH="2..." Timeout="1" User="Phone"/>
    </DIALTEMPLATE>

(my extensions are all 3 digits and start with 2) and put it in the provisioning folder. In the SEP[MAC].cnf (xml file) file there is a line that says

<dialTemplate>dialplan.xml</dialTemplate> however it does not get requested for on the tftp server at bootup so I assume its not uploading.

However there is already a file called cisco_dialplan.xml in the provisioning folder which has the line

<TEMPLATE MATCH="*" TIMEOUT="10" User="Phone"/>

and it is 10 seconds before the number dials so I assume its working. I have edited the number and saved then rebooted but it makes no difference. I can find no refernce to the cisco_dialplan.xml file in any other cfn files though.

My thoughts are that it was uploaded when I did the initial SIP conversion and now its not asking for it anymore which means I don't know how to update it!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm certainly by no means an expert on these sets, but from the behaviour I've seen, and logically, the file should be up loaded, or at least an upload attempt upon set re-boot. As the default, the config as well as many other files, can change from time to time, the set should be downloading the latest file. If you see no request for the file from the tftp server, then I have to assume that either the config or default file are not set-up correctly for this to happen. Along with the site I gave the link to, there are a number of other sites, Ciscos included, that have examples of the various files that the set(s) will download.

As I mentioned, the 79X0 and 79X1 sets do things a bit differently, so look for examples based on the 7940 and 7960 sets.

5. qsjam

I guess something must be amiss with one or more of the config files, so I'm going to try removing everything and start again.

Thanks for your help!

6. qsjam

As a follow up, I've got it working!

I added the line dial_template: dialplan to the SIPDefault.cnf file and rebooted the phones and the dialplan.xml uploaded.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it worked. I'll have to bookmark this for when I decide to have another go at my 7960.

8. qsjam

Interestingly (and annoyingly) though every time I add extensions it resets all the CNF files back to default so have to keep updating them manually.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I assume that you are referring to the SIPDefault file used by all of the sets. Other than, perhaps making the file read only in Windows, I'm not certain as to how to get the changes you made, to remain incorporated, when additional sets are added.

Perhaps someone that has had more experience with these sets, or someone from 3CX, can offer some advice.

10. qsjam

Ah yes read only could work! Its not a massive problem tbh as once the system is setup it wont be modified very frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.