Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Urgent assistance needed with remote pots location

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jeff yager, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff yager

Hello, I have a 7 venue 3cx for windows system. I am installing a new location that has DSL only and cannot do voip there. I need to pull in century link pots phone system and link to my 3cx system. I have no clue how to do this. Has anyone out there done this before? Can any one provide some assistance?

Thank you,
    Jeff Yager

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Whether Century link providers either an FXS "box", or simply a copper cable termination, you will need a VoIP gateway. There are a number that are supported by 3CX. These are usually available in multiples of four lines.

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

3. jeff yager

Yes, I am aware, I have used them for fax before.

Problems are this:

call comes into 3cx server, then routes out to pots line. Does the FXS go where century link terminates then out to phones? If so then I can control everything via extension as I would with a voip setup.

Or would I need multiple pots lines? I plan on having approx 10 phones at this location.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely clear on the set-up. Is the 3CX server located at the same location as the sets, and where Century link will terminate?

5. jeff yager

No it is not. It is at another office.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the gateway is not located at the same location as the server, then (as came up in a previous post), your only option may be to set-up a VPN connection between the two locations. Everything will appear to be on the same network. Bandwidth may be a consideration.

I guess you couldn't get Century Link to terminate at the server location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.