Use 3CX as alternative to cellular?

Discussion in 'Android' started by willyslc, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willyslc

So here's my question. If you were able to subscribe to a low minute calling plan, but have unlimited data, could you use a 3CX phone system to essentially bypass the cell system? Does that make sense? What are typical data rates used by 3CX during a typical voice call? Is it practical to use 3CX as a cell alternative?

Thanks,

Mr. Curious?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Before you go disconnecting your mobile number, do some tests to make sure that the app works properly with the data service that your particular mobile provider offers.

3. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I do just that.

I have the unlimited data plan on my cell phone so cut my minutes to the bare minimum.

I really like it as i can make international calls at very low rates and also have all the 3cx features on my cell.

Remember that g711 is using about 100kbps each way of data, so it can soon add up if you are on a limited plan.

Speaking to Verizon this week about their new LTE setup (its fast - 5-12Mb speeds) they have plans to increase their data allowance over the next couple of years. They want to be offering 50Gb by 2012, 100Gb by 2013 and 200Gb by 2014 instead of their current 5G and 10G plans.

I also spoke to an engineer about LTE at the cell towers (he is doing the installs for Verizon and AT&T in our area). Verizon are putting fiber in every 4G cell tower. AT&T are doing multi-t1s. So although the speeds will be the same, bandwidth on AT&T will be limited compared to fiber on Verizon at the same tower. Verizon wants to be able to provide high speed and lots of data so people will drop dsl and go to the cell phones/ data cards

So if not now, hang on for a year or so and you will be able to run a video phone on your android tablet (hint 3cx - start planning :) )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.