Use Android phone as a GSM gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by quyda, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quyda

Hi,

I'm new to the SIP thing, and this forums, so excuse me if this question has been asked before.

I need to redirect my mobile phone number to an out-of-country SIP phone.
    eg I leave an Android phone (1) and a 3CX PBX, installed on a home computer, in my country. When I travel abroad, I use another Android phone (2) with 3CX SIP.
    So when ppl call to my phone 1, it will redirect to my phone 2

Can I do that, how?

Thanks
    Quy
    Ps. I do understand that I can use an Huawei 3G dongle to do that, but I just have an Android phone laying around and would like to use that phone :)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You would need a gateway of some sort (PSTN, GSM, ISDN), and/or a VoIP connection. In fact you will need two connections (trunks), one in and one out. An Android phone will not transfer a SIP call to GSM, or vice versa.

You could put the SIM from you mobile into a GSM gateway, then send a call out, on something (see above). Or...you could call forward you mobile to a local number that rings in on 3CX and is set to transfer out on another trunk.

You could also get by with one incoming trunk, if you had an extension phone with you registered to the 3Cx PBX.

You'd still have to call forward your mobile number, or acquire a GSM gateway for use with your current SIM.

A Bluetooth adapter, connected to your phone, then connected to a PSTN gateway would also get an incoming call to the PBX. You still have to get it out again on another trunk.

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Seems crazy. I'd just go with Google Voice and call it a day.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Ian...you're assuming that they are based in the US.

5. bardissi

bardissi Member

You could call forward your cell phone via the provider to a sip did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.