use android phone as gsm gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dgedge, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgedge

hello everybody,

do you know if there is a way to use an android phone as gsm gateway in 3CX phone system ?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That's not going to work. You'd need an actual GSM gateway.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

I doubt that it can be done without "deep" update of the OS installed on your phone...
    If we are trying to talk about theory then... yes, of course, it is possible just because GSM module is a device which is under Android OS control... Android plays audio stream which is received from GSM device on Speakers (which are also a device) and sends audio capture taken from microphone (which is also a device) back to GSM module...
    So, "Nothing is impossible" (" нет ничего невозможного")

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Via Bluetooth! I use a GP-712 device made by Gempro which is essentially a SIP<->Bluetooth interface. It works fine bidirectionally and achieves what I want, but to be honest it is a bit of an expensive sledgehammer to crack what you might think should be a simple nut!

I've often wondered why no-one has achieved the same effect on a PC with a cheap bluetooth dongle and some clever software (there was an asterisk driver [chan_mobile] to do just this, so it must be possible!). I'm guessing this can't be done with an app on the phone itself because of permissions issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.