Use STUN server and/or Static IP to setup remote extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by wjafri, Oct 24, 2007.

1. wjafri

Hi, I am setting up 3cx at home to connect my family that is living in different parts of the city. The objective of setting up 3cx was to have 4 extensions in the house, and 3 remote extensions, one at each siblings home.

I've installed 3cx successfully on a pc running on Windows XP. the hardware config is P3, 256mb Ram, 40Gb HDD. This machine will be dedicated to 3cx. I have Linksys WRT54G router and Linksys SPA3102 for connecting my VOIP phone and PSTN phone to 3CX. Currently I have 2 Dlink C160s VOIP DECT Cordless phones, one of which I am planing to use for testing as a remote extension.

All remote destinations, including my house have ADSL connections with 512kb bandwidth. None of us have static ip from our ISPs.

I am looking for some help and advise on how to effectively setup remote extensions. I am a bit confused on 3cx requirements for
    * STUN server,
    * Static IP (using services like DynDNS)
    * Port forwarding.

I would appreciate if I can draw upon your expertise to understand if I use all 3 or only a combination of 2? Which ones and how?

Please note that I am not a techie but am just fascinated by the possibilities of VOIP.

Thanks.

2. bhavank

bhavank New Member

you are on right track you can enable DynDns for your device and open ports on the system.

Please les us know whether 3CX system is getting dynamic Live IP from the service provider directly or you do have some internal router in you premises to do so.

If you have router you need to configure DynDns on the router and if not configure directly on your system. Secondly if you have router then you need to open ports required by 3CX on router and 3CX system both and only on system if internet is directly connected to your system(i.e. without router).

3. aguilar

aguilar New Member

almost same case

hello
    i went thru the HOWTO "How do I configure direct SIP Calls?" and it starts in the assumption that you already have a domain name wich is not my case, so some questions:
    may i create a domain in a xp or vista box?
    i have a subdomain (sip.teleport.com.mx) pointing to my fixed ip address, and the 3CX configured with the local domain
    what else do i need to configure in the 3CX computer?
    is there any addional information about direct sip calls?

thanks in advance and regards