Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Username vs. Auth Username?

Discussion in 'Android' started by rdunajewski, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdunajewski

Forgive me if this was answered before, but I couldn't find a solution.

My SIP provider has a separate Username and Auth Username. How would I enter them into this client?

I tried including it as part of the external server address (username@domain.com) but can't register.

The provider is OnSip. Thanks for any help!

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

I'd suggest you try out this guide, it should give you the info you need regarding the Username / Auth name.
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/3cxphone/android/configuring/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rdunajewski

I have read the configuration guide, but the Android client won't register. The Windows client works without issue, which I'm guessing is because the Windows version has separate Username and Auth Name fields.

I even tried to view the Android logs to troubleshoot the problem but they don't say why registration is failing (incorrect login, server unreachable, etc). Also, the Android system log shows a successful login even if the login fails. That makes it even more difficult to troubleshoot.

I'm going to try to set the two usernames to the same value, but my employer will need to do that, if OnSip even allows that.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to include both usernames into the Android client, for example: user1:user2@example.onsip.com as the username, which would pass both values to the server.

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi rdunajewski,

As i've explain in the e-mail i've sent you, your provider uses 3 way Authentication, something that the 3CXPhone for Android does not support... Yet.
    This is something we may add in the future, but it's not in our immediate plans.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zmslink

I can't seem to get the config right for using with OnSip. I've opened a ticket with OnSip but they haven't replied yet so I thought I'd try here.

Basically, OnSip has the following fields. I tried several permutations with no luck--error in Windows client is authentication failed. (I'm not sure if they have a STUN server.) Also tried on iPhone with no luck.

Address of Record: personname@companyname.onsip.com
    SIP Password: iTHISy3LfakelLn
    Auth Username: companyname_personname
    Username: personname
    Proxy/Domain: companyname.onsip.com
    Account Password: MrBiggles878

(not actual values, obviously)
    Thanks

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds like you will have to wait for a reply from your provider if you've already tried all possible (logical) combinations, and it still doesn't work.

Whether they have (offer) a STUN server or not, makes no difference. If you use STUN, you can use any STUN server available on the net. It is simply a tool that your device can use to discover what type of NAT (router) it is behind. Obviously, if your device has a public IP, or, your provider specifies NOT to use STUN, then it is not necessary.

7. zmslink

OK. I thought maybe you had helped out this user or had a wiki somewhere with instructions for different providers. There are 18 permutations of username/password and I wasn't systematic so may have just missed the right one or maybe had a typo in server or proxy. I'll try again.

8. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    I've checked a little the OnSip documentation they provide.
    First, I suggest you to use the latest 3CXPhone for Android, 1.2.12 or 1.3.1.

Now, I understood you get from OnSip following informations (with their notations)
    - SIP Address (Address of Record)
    - SIP Password
    - Auth Username
    - Username
    - Proxy/Domain

Now, in 3CXPhone, create a new profile and there:

Profile name: OnSip (can be what name you want)
    Display name: your name (caller id, may be empty or what name you want)
    User: Username
    ID: Auth Username
    Password: SIP Password
    Use external server: checked!
    External server: Proxy/Domain
    Proxy: sip.onsip.com
    Use NAT: unchecked

Please try it and tell me if is working.
    Regards
    vali

9. zmslink

Thanks! I'm now able to authenticate and make calls. I did notice I have to dial a 1 for outside numbers (with our Polycom phones it's optional).

(Also, If you're looking for your OnSip info, it is at admin.onsip.com > login with your username@companyname.onsip.com account and password. That info is not available at my.onsip.com)

We have people in our office with Android phones but have not tested with them. We have tested Windows and iPhone--terminology was a little different but easy enough to figure out.

For Windows
    ===============
    Account name: {your choice}
    Caller ID: {your choice}

Extension: Username

My location:
    (selected): I am out of the office - external IP
    textbox: Proxy/Domain
    [checked]: Use Outbound Proxy server
    Specify IP or name textbox: sip.onsip.com

all other settings: default

For iPhone
    ===============
    Name: {your choice}
    Display name: {your choice}

User: Username

User external server: ON
    External Server: Proxy/Domain
    Proxy: sip.onsip.com

NAT Helper: OFF*

*Default is ON. ON or OFF didn't seem to make a difference.

I noticed a potential bug with the iPhone version (not a problem in Windows version) that I'll test and post to another thread. Basically, I get no audio from voicemail and auto-attendant prompts on our system (whether dialing an extension or going through outside number).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.