Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

users complaining about "clicks" in audio

Discussion in 'Windows' started by zooeyhall, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooeyhall

I have a 3cx installation withthree Snom 300 phones. The SNOM phones are running the latest firmware. We are using 3cx Mini Version 7 and it is running on a Windows XP SP2 workstation. Since it is such a small office, the only calling is done to the outside using two PSTN lines through a Patton 4114 gateway.

Everything is connected using CAT5 cable. There is only one computer in the office running just basic applications (email, web, etc).

We have been using 3cx at this location for about 18 months now. Apparently the problem has been there since the beginning. I have another almost identical 3cx installation at another location in our company, and they seem to have no problems.

Users at this location have been complaining about "clicks" in the audio on incoming and outgoing calls. Also occasional other audio strangeness such as echo and distorted sound. There is no problem with calls dropping or ending unexpectedly.

I had the phone company check the lines up to the building, and not surprisingly they said everything is ok. The 3cx server log doesn't show anything strange going on.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there was any advice on what I should check-out first to get it solved. I have been told that "clicks" like this indicate a problem with the outside line(s), and I have also been told that that is just something in IP based systems. Thanks for any advice and please post if you need additional info.

2. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Just a few ideas..

1. Move the microwave away from the telco closet.
    2. Check your CAT5 for noise. If you have a cellular provider with antennas on the outside of the building, make sure your lines aren't running parallel to its cables. Always cross 90*, never parallel.
    3. If you have DSL on the line, check your DSL filters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zooeyhall

Thanks for the info. I have reposted this in the General forum as I just noticed I put it into the VoIP forum (we are using PSTN for our calls outside the office).

Did just want to mention that---of the two PSTN lines coming into the office (and the Patton) --that one of the lines also hosts our DSL internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.