Users/extensions with multiple phones?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Lee Moreau, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Moreau

I read the whole manual before posting this but don't see it noticed. In Asterisk you can do device and user mode, so if I have an office plus my home, I can have an IP phone at both locations that I log into as a user, and then my extensions are shown on both phones so if someone calls me both ring etc. The other way I can do that is with follow me, where I could make a different extension for when I'm at home and then set my main extension to ring both when someone calls, and then to go to my main line voicemail if there's no answer.

How would I do that in 3CX? The only thing I see is "ring my mobile simultaneously" but not to ring another extension. I thought maybe set up a ring group with both and set it to go to the main extension voicemail at the end, but then it doesn't look like I can set it to send an extension call to a ring group.

The only thing I could think of is getting a separate DID for the home phone extension and entering that as my "mobile" number and then checking the box to ring simultaneously.

Or am I completely missing it here and can just register more than 1 phone to 3CX at the same time?

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You can register multiple phones to the same extension. From a system perspective it will see the various phones on the phone tab, but in use, it will look like one extension and all phones registered to that extension will ring.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that to accomplish this, simply take the extra phones and manually provision them to use the same attributes (server ip,extension number, password, etc.). Keep in mind that if you make changes to the originally installed phone, you will need to subsequently make manual changes to the others......if required.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Also know as "SIP Forking"...the one set-up that you will want to investigate, in the 3Cx extension settings, for a multiple appearance extension, is how 3CX views the busy status of that extension, by each set or by the status within 3CX.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I just found out this morning from Patton that a December firmware will allow the Smartnode to handle SIP Forking. My users will be overcome with joy that they can have their desk and mobile ring at the same time. Right now, the Patton accepts the call and the deskphone never rings...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So that will allow the Patton and a SIP phone to be registered, at the same time with a VoIP provider?

My understanding of SIP Forking, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), is that, it's use is determined by the SIP provider. 3CX allows it, for extensions, as do some VoIP providers. However some VoIP providers do not allow it, which means you cannot have more than one set/device registered to them (using the same credentials/number) at the same time.

7. craigreilly

leejor, in my case, if I try to do Ring Mobile and Deskphone at same time under the 3cx extension details - the Patton Gateway "ANSWERS" the call and basically 3cx sees this call as Accepted and Answered even though the mobile may still be ringing. This prevents us from using some of the features of 3cx.

Once this firmware is released, it will allow the call to be "forked" and the Patton will not report "ANSWERED" until it is actually answered by the callee.

Atleast, that is what I am understanding.

My initial reply is a bit off from what the original poster is asking about - but I was just sharing some good news :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That really isn't SIP Forking as the call to a mobile is going out over a trunk, not a device registered with the same credentials as the extension that is also ringing.

A firmware release may "correct" an issue (missing feature) with answer supervision, or give you more options. If the Patton is a PSTN gateway then the only method to detect answer supervision is a current reversal when the called party answers. This will only work if your PSTN provider supplies this feature, many don't unless you request it and, in some cases, are prepared to pay extra for it. While it used to be a given back in the step by step days, a lot of class 5 switches will only provide it on linecards designed for payphones or PBX trunks. So it can come down to the make of switch, you get your dialtone from.
    If you are using a PRI or BRI gateway, then answer detection should be available (and new firmware may enable it), but once again, only if the provider offers the service.

9. craigreilly

Thanks for the clarification... although I think I am now more confused. I guess Patton does not understand my question then.
    We have a PRI-NI2 with Century Link.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Your question to Patton should be... If answer supervision is passed to the gateway from the provider, is there a setting/option that will only pass that on to 3CX when received (called party goes off-hook) and not immediately after upon receipt of dialled digits (from 3CX), as most PSTN gateways behave.

You are also relying on answer supervision being passed from the destination. There is no guarantee that it will be in all cases. it should, if the call uses SS7 (or the equivalent) end to end, but still no guarantee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.