Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Using 3CXPhone without SIM-Card - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Android' started by arno_nuehm, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arno_nuehm

Hello folks

one of our customers want to use the 3CXPhone Client on Android as follows:
    The phones will actuate without SIM-Cards, they only be used to connect with company in-house wireless lan.
    Is it possible to run the 3CXPhone Client trouble-free over WLAN without inserted any SIMCard?

There are no Android phone in our company, so we can`t try it. :-(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Manu

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the phone uses a SIM, then you will probably have no access to any application without one being present in the phone. About the only thing you should be able to do is make emergency calls. In most markets you can get an unregistered pay-as-you go SIM for a small fee. That would allow the phone to operate with access to the Apps.

3. Warren smith

Yes, it is possible. I have set up 3cx without a sim card on a droid 4 running ics os which i am using only over WiFi, however, i did root the phone as soon as i got it so i am not sure if that is required to make it functional.

4. FlightRisk

The SIM card is only used to connect you to the network. I have a Galaxy S3 and used it without an air account to take advantage of wifi in the house. You can sign up for Google Play accounts, etc, all without having to have a a SIM card. A few apps require you to have a SIM, for example some GPS apps, but GSM phones are awesome because of the SIM card features. When I travel, I buy a cheap sim card and activate a new number and use it until I get back. No roaming. Love it. My phone is sitting next to me right now without a SIM card in it and running 3CX Phone to connect me through wifi to my office 3CX PBX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.