Using Alert-Info to Set RingTon

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by blakethornton, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blakethornton

I'm trying to configure distinctive ring tones (so that I can separate internal from external calls).

It appears from my reading like the group name should be displayed in the alert-info header ... and that I should be able to either edit the template or modify the phone settings (yealink) to ring distinctively based on that.

However... when I set that up it doesn't work.

I ran wire-shark and could not find any alert-info information at all.

Anyone been able to make this work ???

2. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

What handset are you using? I would contact that manufacturer support line.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. blakethornton

it's a yealink T46... mostly with a couple other models.

I just need to know how / if 3CX sends alert-info information (packet trace doesn't look like it does).

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You need to use wireshark and look at the INVITE from 3CX to the phone. Being that you indicated that you had done a packet trace, I assume you have wireshark and that perhaps you simply looked in the wrong spot. I looked at an old pcap I had and as you can see in the attachment.

This was a call from my cell phone into the system.

You will need to download the administrator's manual from the Yealink site and they have instructions on how to implement. You will probably need to play around a bit to see how various calls handle the Alert-Info so.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

5. wirm

There is no way to send custom alert-info headers with 3cx?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This is quite old, but I don't recall seeing anything more recent on distinctive ringing.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/caller-id-processing-distinctive-ringing-alert-info/

7. wirm

Yea I've read this document, its basically how it works, not how to customize it.

;l

8. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi there!

Unfortunately there is not way to make 3CX send custom Alert-Info values. However in your initial post you said that you want to be able to distinguish internal and external calls. This should be already in place as for internal calls, 3CX doesn't send an Alert-Info tag in the INVITE, so the default Ringtone is used. For external calls 3CX does send Alert-Info with the value "external" as Ineblett showed in his screenshot, and the equivalent Ringtone is played.

Now with the default templates for the T46 (I happen to have one on my desk), you should hear the Ring1.wav Ringtone for internal calls and Ring2.wav for external calls.

Can you please let us know if the requirements have changed? I am asking because what you asked initially seems to be already possible using the default templates.

9. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

Hi Nick,

According to templates, 3CX is able to use External, Queue and IVR ringtones. I know when External and Queue are used, but in what scenario is an IVR Alert-Info created? It would make sense that it would happen for a call through a Digital Receptionist extension, but it doesn't. I've called a DR ext from an internal extension and from another phone outside the PBX incoming to the DR, but the calls always ring the default ring tone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

10. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The 'IVR' Alert-Info tag is sent when a Special/System Menu is calling the extension.

The best example I can think of is create a Queue and press the "Record" button next to the music on hold. That will give you an option to enter an extension number. Doing that will cause that extension to ring and the ringtone should be the Altert-Info IVR.

11. Jason Calloway

Nick,

I was searching for information relative to the subject of this email and came across this thread.

Since this dates back to February 2016, I thought I would follow up to see if there may have been any implementation that supports custom Alert-Info header values?

I'm ultimately trying to have a custom ringtone for a specific Ring Group so that those group members can differentiate between a caller that dialed their extension vs a caller that dialed the extension of the ring group.

Any ideas?

12. Scott Hine

Can i bump for importance? We need customized Alert-Info. :'((

At the least, send Alert-Info based on Ring Group, SIP or trunk.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.