Using alert-info to set ringtone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DanReid, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanReid

Being able to use different ringtones from different callers (internal and external calls being the most obvious) would be very useful. Most of the threads I found on here seemed to suggest this wasn't possible with 3cx. However, I then found this in the feature requests;

http://3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Alert-Info-Support-for-Distinctive-Ringing/71534-9854

That sounds like that same thing and it says it is completed. So is this actually possible and if so, how do you do it?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Other than that feature request, this is the only other bit of information that I've come across.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/caller-id-processing-distinctive-ringing-alert-info/

Not to say, that there isn't more out there.

3. loreille

That last link explains it quite well, but I just can't make it work.
    I use 3cx v10 with Snom 320 and 870 phones.
    I tried lot's of combinations, but can't get a different ringtone for internal and external incoming calls.

Just to be sure:
    3CX says: The Distinctive Ringing feature will be invoked in this case as the PBX will deliver the call with an additional header “Alert-info: local”.
    So, on the phone's preference's page in de field "Alert Internal Text:" I filled in "local".
    (with Asterisk we should fill in "alert-internal". I tried that in the past and it works well)

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks a lot,
    Frédéric

4. hfournier

Does anyone have dual ring tones working for internal vs external calls on Grandstream?

The user manual has the following section:
    Distinctive Ring Tone
    Select a Distinctive Ring Tone 1 through 3 for the caller ID. The Caller ID can be configured as a particular caller ID or Alert-Info text.
    When a particular call ID is configured in the Caller ID, the selected ring tone will be used when the incoming call is from the Caller ID. System Ring Tone will be used for all other calls.
    If server supports Alert-Info, the Alert-Info text can be mapped to the 3 customized ring tones. For example, if you configure the custom ring tone 1 user ID to “priority”, that ring tone will be used if we receive INVITE with Alert-Info header in the following format:
    Alert-Info:;info=priority

I have Grandstream GXP2110 phones and in the web interface, under Advanced Settings, there's a section titled Distinctive Ring Tones. There are 3 input fields labelled "Custom ring tone X, used if incoming CALLER ID is:" (where X is 1, 2, or 3).

I've tried setting "Custom ring tone 1" to "local" and to "internal" (without quotes), save and rebooted the phones, but in both attempts, when I logon to the phone's web interface again, the input field is empty.

I don't know why the phone is not saving the value. Maybe it's not a valid value. But if so, what are the valid values?

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I don't have it for Yealink T38 either.
    The phone always seems to follow the "Account" ring type.
    If I select Common here - I get ring type 1.
    If I select a ring type - I get that.
    But it never follows Phone - Ring setup in the Web setup (also same as 3cx T38 template)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hfournier

So no one has this working?

7. hfournier

I think I understand why this isn't working.

I logon to the GXP-2110's web interface and change "Custom ring tone 1" to "internal", save and reboot. However, on reboot, the phone loads its settings from the provisioning file from 3CX and overrides my changes. When I logon to the web interface and check, my change isn't there and therefore I don't get different ring tones for internal/external.

So, since this option can't be set through 3CX, I would have to manually modify the provisioning file generated by 3CX for each phone for this to work, right? Is that possible? How? Are there guides for doing this?

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

you might be able to export the config file from your phone and incorporate the settings into the Template.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. hfournier

That's worth a try, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.