• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

using "justvoip" as a voip provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notinachos

Reaction score
hello all,

i am stumped setting up my 3cx phone system. i am a novice to PBX and everything that i know i have learned from setting up the free version of 3cx! i apologize for my ignorance, i've been hitting the wiki pretty hard and previous forum posts don't help out with this particular problem. to give some background information, the phone system installed properly and i can dial from extension to extension without any problems. however, i am having problems getting 3cx to dial regular "outside" phone numbers. my (limited) understanding is to setup a VoIP provider for this service...

-> i am trying to use the voip provider "www.justvoip.com"
(per a wiki article that i read on the 3cx website:) http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/supported-gateways/skype-to-3cx
(at the bottom of the page)

-> justvoip has this posted on their website:
http://www.justvoip.com/en/sipp.html
it's instruction for how to use justvoip.com with 'any' sip device (3cx right!?!)

-> in 3cx's management console, i have set up a generic VoIP provider with the following settings:
(all pulled from that previous link)
SIP server hostname: sip.justvoip.com
SIP server port: 5060
Outbound proxy hostname: (left blank)
Outbound proxy port: 5060
external number: (my ipkall voip phonenumber. i dont think this is right...)
authentication id: (my justvoip.com username)
authentication password: (my justvoip.com password)
max calls: one

-> i use Ipkall.com to forward calls to my 3cx sip server and this part works just fine! when i call (360)XXX-XXXX my 3cx extension 100 rings. audio goes back and forth no problem. (not sure if this is even important for troubleshooting)

-> i can use justvoip.com to dial 'regular' phone numbers if i use their softphone application instead of 3cx.
i have set up the following dialing rule in 3cx: 9 to use justvoip, strip 9, prepend +1. that means if i dial 9-989-555-5555 that it should hit my dialing rule and turn into +1-989-555-5555 right? that is the format justvoip uses when i dial in their application. i do not know if setting up a rule like this is necessary.

-> finally, the justvoip application detects when 3cx logs into my account and it logs me out automatically (of their app) so i assume user/password info is working correctly?

thanks in advance for the help... did i forget anything? i am really trying to understand how this works, please bear with me!
-noti

What's the + for in front of the 1? , you may want to get rid of that. the + is usually only used in mobile networks in place of the long distance access code as it will vary from country to country. Is the 1 a LD access or country code? In North America it is the LD access code but with a European (or other) provider it is the country code and would require a 01 (or something in front). What happens when you dial a number, a recording? dead air? Busy tone?

Have you looked at the server logs yet, they can show you if the call is being sent out to your VoIP provider and if they are rejecting the call for some reason. I'm assuming that the trunk is showing as registered with the board.

i have been playing with the outbound rule setting in 3cx per your recommendation.
here's what i found out.

if i delete my outbound rule, the 3cx phone will tell me 'destination not found' when i try to call a 'regular' phone number.

if i keep my outbound rule then i get a operator's voice telling me "i have dialed an invalid number" and to please make sure i dial "two zeros, the country code, then the subscriber number". does that mean that i am in fact accessing justvoip's service?

justvoip is not a listed "voip supported provider" but that wiki article i read suggests using it with 3cx!

i am looking at the server logs right now but like i said, i'm a novice and it's hard to make sense of. i cleared the log, re-initiated a new call (that failed) and refreshed the log for a look at what happened. it seems there's a lot of entries for just one call!

I think that what you will have to send is 00 1 xxx xxx-xxx for a North American number. you can't send a + with the 3CX, only digits that you could send from a standard phone. 00 is one of the LD access codes that + would be used to replace. The 1 , in this case is the country code for North America. So in your dial plan if you dialled 9 xxx xxx-xxxx, strip the 9 and prepend 001. That will work for NA numbers. if you call overseas you may want to work on a plan that encompasses them as well. calling a UK number, you would send to them...00 44 20 7231-1234 (number in London). And yes, that is a recording from them.

i'm one step further...

i set up the outbound rule like you specified. thanks for the explanation on the international calling codes! that info helps. i notice if i try to type a "+" in the 3cx softphone, that it automatically displays "00". (makes sense now)

now when i dial out, the call hits my dialing rule and the justvoip recording changes to tell me 'i don't have enough credit to complete the call'!

what i don't understand now is:
north american calls to landlines and mobile are free within justvoip and i get no errors when i dial the same numbers from justvoip's softphone app. i just can't get the same number to dial in 3cx without them prompting me to buy credit. is this normal behavior? can they somehow charge for me to use sip devices (3cx in my case) with their service but not their own softphone?

this sounds like 3cx is doing its part and my troubles may be with justvoip instead but i'm not sure.
is there some other configuration option that i'm missing in 3cx?

I didn't go over their whole site but I suspect that they are charging for phone to phone calls and not computer to phone. They can probably present you with advertising when you use your computer, it would offset the "free" calls. There are a lot of "pay-as-you-go" VoIP providers with VERY low rates, some starting at just over 1 cent a minute, do some shopping around. look for one that is based in the country where you do most of your calling, that would probably give you the best deal. There are a lot of reviews of VoIP providers if you do a few searches.

thank you very much for your help. it is certainly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICT BE Peleman
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.