• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Using Let's Encrypt with custom FDQN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZacSC

Customer
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in upgrading from 3cx v14 to v15.5 but I have a custom domain / FQDN. It all works great right now but I have read through the instructions a few times now about upgrading and needing a certificate to do so and keep my custom domain. What I am trying to find out is if there is any way to use a Let's Encrypt certificate with my custom domain? I am searching through the forums and documentation and can't seem to find any instructions for that. I have used Let's Encrypt before and its great so I would like to use it here too. Is that possible to set up?

Reactions: ITW
Hey cobaltit, ya I read through that and found the links on the subsequent pages for Godaddy and Start SSL but I don't see anything about Let's Encrypt. Seems strange that 3cx would use that for their domains but there is nothing about using it on ours that I can find in the documentation.

So Let's Encrypt is just another certification authority just like Godaddy and Start SSL. So the answer to your question is yes you can use Let's Encrypt or any other certification authority (GeoTrust, Symantec, Comodo, etc). There is no documentation for any of those providers either, but there is no technical reason that will stop you from doing it.

Gotcha so that means there is no process to set Let's Encrypt up them to work with 3cx and automatically renew the certs and all of the other things thats Lets Encrypt does then?

Yes there is. It's called using the 3CX provided domain :). But like anything else if you want to do something outside the box you have to do it yourself.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Haha totally.

Because I am working with a current install using a custom domain is there a way to migrate that easily to a 3cx provided domain?

You can create a backup of the current system without including licence and FQDN. Save the backup to a non 3CX location.
Un-install the system and release the licence key from the custom FQDN. Then re-install the system using the backup and when asked input your licence key and choose a 3CX FQDN.

You can create a backup of the current system without including licence and FQDN. Save the backup to a non 3CX location.
Un-install the system and release the licence key from the custom FQDN. Then re-install the system using the backup and when asked input your licence key and choose a 3CX FQDN.

Thanks YiannisH, how about my currently registered users and phones? How would that effect them?

It depends. Technically everything should still register and work fine. Depending on if the phone sends SIP traffic to the IP after resolving the name or if it sends it to the name in the SIP headers you could have problems. Reprovisioning would solve that. For remote phones, reprovisioning is a little trickier if the phones don't already support LetsEncrypt as by default 3CX will only allow provisioning requests over HTTPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.