Using my VoIP service from an external phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by eddietang, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddietang

Hi

When I am out office, and quite frequently I am required to make an overseas call.

Since I don't want to chalk up expensive IDD calls on my mobile phone I was wondering if there is there a way I can configure 3CX in such a way so that I can call into my PBX using my mobile phone and make an overseas call using 3CX thru my VoIP service provider?

Is this possible?

2. eddietang

I can't believe no one does not have the same requirement as I do. Or perhaps there is no such feature in 3CX just yet.

3. landfiets

landfiets New Member

Hi

Offcrs this is possible. You just need a good sipphone for your mobile like Fring, Sjphone or something else.
    But don't expect to much of it, because it depends more on your internet connection from your mobile phone provider.
    It is testing and testing first, and then after a while maybe you get it right. It's not about 3CX this time but more about your own phone together with your phonecompany. Some phonecompanies block the ports for voiping, but you can give it a try. So you need a fast internetconnection on your phone like HSDPA or UMTS which is expensive normally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eddietang

Thanks but the proposed solution is really not I am looking for. I really hope that could do it via a normal phone and not thru a SoftSIP app that uses wifi or HSDPA to connect back to 3CX.

Any other suggestions anyone?

5. landfiets

landfiets New Member

There's also a simple solution which is not always working right, coz there are some problems with that.
    Make a extension and enable it to transfer it permanently to your overseas number.
    Then dial from your mobile phone the number from your 3CX and during DR just dial the extension number.
    This should work. When the transfering in 3CX isn't working, you could use a ATA with the same features where your exention is registered with transfering form the extension through p.e. Voipbuster to that number. The only thing is, you need to make several extensions for the several overseas numbers you want to choose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. eddietang

Yes that could work if I regularly call the same number all the time and that everyone in the world drives Ferarris, but that is not normally the case.

What really would be nice and if it would be possible in the future if 3CX accommodates my request, is for me to be able to make a call overseas using a my mobile phone (without any SIP clients installed) across 2 separate 3cx branches.

An example would be, say I have a 3CX branch in Singapore and another 3CX branch in Tokyo. And I want to place a call to a client that I just got to know in Tokyo from my mobile phone in Singapore.

Ideally I would just call into my 3CX branch office in Singapore and thru a unique extension that I configured in the PBX, have my called transfered to my 3CX branch Tokyo (over Internet) to make the call to my client using my Japan's VoIP gateway. This would be truly be at a cost of a local call. No need to apply for VoIP service providers if you have multiple branch office around the world.

This is what I think VoIP should be in the next few months for 3CX. Overseas calls at the cost of a local call :mrgreen:

Hey if this can be done, imagine all of us here in this forum could in theory form our own VoIP service. :idea:
    We could call it the 3FN (3CX Forum Network)! :p

Am I just dreaming or could this really be a reality in the near future.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

This idea recently resurfaced in the forums... I love the idea...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-softphone-o-allow-callback-o-mobile-number-43340.html

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This sounds like a request for a DISA port, something that I had suggested as a feature a number of years ago. I've had to resort to using a SPA-3102, which screens caller ID, and allows PIN protection. This is in turn connected to an extension. This allows me to call in from certain numbers, input a PIN, get dialtone, then call out as if I were using that extension.

9. 12494

12494 Member

I think what you want is (v14)

Settings/General/GlobalOptions/EnableOutgoingCallsInVoicemailMenu

Allen

NB this is then enabled for ALL extensions and you better be sure that everyone has strong VM PINs

10. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Allen,

My IDEA post, recommends adding a Checkbox in the Softphone calling screen that says "Call me back on my cell".
    So, 3cx calls your Cell, then calls the international number. Calling thru voicemail you can not use your Contacts. The newer post about this need talks about using "Dial thru Voicemail".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.