• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

using old pbx

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogold

Reaction score
I have an Isdn pbx with 7x2 lines and 14 internal extensions.

I do not want to have to replace my Isdn pbx 14 analog phones with voip phones or add sip boxes to each, but I would like to stop paying for the Isdn lines.
I want to call and receive via voip.

I will register 14 voip lines with incoming phone no.s.

Can I place the 3cx system after my pbx (between the pbx and the world) configuring the 3cx to route calls thru different voip providers based on the country code?

If yes then I would get the 3cx system.

Thanks,
Jo

Hi

Thanks for your post.

To achieve what you require you would still need an FXS device to connect 3CX to your old PBX. It would therefore be far easier to get the FXS box anyway, connect your analog phones to it, and remove your old PBX totally.

The FXS box would register the extensions to 3CX while converting the analog phone signals to VOIP.

See http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/Grandstream-GXW4024.html as an example of such a device.

if using Grandstream 4024 FXS gateway, can it connect to the pstn?

If 4024 doesn't have any FXO port, we can't use the pstn, correct?

You would need a separate device for going out via the ISDN lines, for example a Patton 4554...

We have 8 digital phones connected to a Detewe PBX which goes out to the telco via ISDN.
What hardware do I need (other than the 3CX system) to allow us to get rid of the ISDN lines and use only VOIP.
I could buy ip phones but that is expensive.
I would like an option that would allow me to use the existing pbx since it is configured according to the staffs requirements.
Or do away with the old pbx and just use the 3CX to do all. It is very powerful.
Thanks for any help.
Jo

If the digital phones are proprietary (will only work with your PBX). Then you are probably stuck buying new sets to work with 3CX. If you wish to retain the ISDN service then you would need a box to convert ISDN to SIP to "feed" into the 3CX PBX. If you cam migrate your ISDN service to a VoIP provider via a high speed internet connection the you could go right into the 3CX. Otherwise you'd have to change from ISDN to two wire trunks then go to an ATA with FXO ports, then into the 3CX.

Part of the reason we want 3CX is to do away with the ISDN lines and only go via VOIP thru adsl or cable.
About the phones I think that are propriety, so we are stuck.

Just for curiosity, if they are "smart phones" like the panasonic ktx phones would these work or are these also considered propriety?

What about using regular analog phones? I am trying to save on the cost of the ip phones.

Thanks for the input and help.

Jo

Any phones that will ONLY work on a particular make of PBX or Key system are proprietary. If you can't plug them into a standard PSTN phone jack and get then to work then they aren't analogue and won't work with a VoIP ATA (analogue adapter). It sound like you are going to have to spring for new sets if you decide to make the transition. Yes you can use analogue sets but you'll have to buy an ATA to go with each one.

Thanks for the help.
If I get an ATA for each analog phone and connect these the 3CX how will I be able to use all of the 3CX "pbx" functions such as call forwarding from extention to extention and call parking?

Thanks for the help.
Jo

A lot depends on what ATA you buy. Most require a hook flash and then a short dial code to activate features. Manuals for the most common ATA's are usually available from the manufacturers sites. Bear in mind that you get what you pay for and the least expensive may not give you the most flexibility such as constructing dial plans. Do some home work and ask other users what they would recommend based on your applications. Some basic VoIP Phones are not that much more than an ATA now and a lot include the call display. Shop around.

Thanks,
We now have a pbx with propriety phones. They have extra buttons that allow us to forward calls to another extension, put on hold with music, park calls and pick them up from another extension and I am sure a whole lot more but this is what we use.

If we were to buy linksys ip phones we can do all of this with 3CX.
My question is can we do this with analog phones and ata boxes? If yes could you please point me in the correct direction as which hardware to buy. If I need an analog gateway then that might be an option, (I do not know what an analog gateway is but I was told that this might be an option).

Thanks for the help.

Jo

An ATA (analogue telephone adapter) allows the use of standard, run of the mill, telephones (the type you'd use with the local phone company) on a VoIP system. To use "features", call transfer, park, hold etc., will require a hook flash and then a dialled "code" to implement the feature. This would be no different than using an older analogue PBX with a single line phone. The ATA usually comes pre-programmed with the codes for the required features but they can be changed to suit your needs. Of course a phone with some speed call buttons could be pre-programmed to dial the required codes after the hook flash. Linksys and Grandsteam are two of the more common makes, do a search and you'll find descriptions and manuals to download. There are many others, some more popular depending where (the country) you are located. Some have two line appearances (2 FXS's), some just a single line. Some have a line appearance and a second jack that will convert a PSTN line into VoIP to be used as a trunk (FXO) on the PBX, this is sometimes referred to as an analogue gateway as it allows a VoIP system access to analogue lines. Some have 4 or 8 FXO ports for larger boards to interface to local PSTN lines.

Thanks a lot.
Now I have to do my homework.

I will let you know what happened.

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.