Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Using SIP numbers abroad

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dreamscape, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamscape

Hi

I'm currently working away and was wondering if I setup 3CX on my laptop, could I forwards calls from a foreign local SIP number to a UK SIP number by automatically forwarding through 3CX? Would I in effect need a 3rd UK SIP line to call out on and would this break the direct call rate between countries?

I have an Android phone and have been using 3CX on it with with a local data plan. Works so far so I can make local foreign calls at a sensible rate, but I can only have one profile loaded at a time.

Cheers

2. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

If I understand you correctly all you would need to do is set up each sip provider in 3cx with the relevant dial plans.

Then register 3cx phone to the PBX remotely as an extension. You simply dial what ever number in what ever country from your laptop extension and 3cx would route the call based on the number to the correct sip line and visa versa.

In essence that is what a PBX does, many lines to many extensions, many extensions to many lines.

3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

can have more than one profile using 3cx Softphone, though you really wouldnt have to. You can use your outbound dial rules to select a a line to dial out on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I think that the answer is yes to the first question. You could have a call come in from France, Spain, or other country into 3 CX via a SIP provider in the originating country, which could then be forward by 3CX using the outbound rules to a number in the UK using a UK based SIP provider. As far as how economical it is will depend on what the SIP providers in each origination and destination country will charge (by the line, by the minute, etc.) and how it compares to traditional international calling rates using the same countries and other variables that may come into play for the tariffs.

I am not certain what is being asked about a 3rd UK line to call out on. If you are sitting in front of the laptop and wish to make a call to the UK while another concurrent call is taking place as in the first scenario above, then it may require an additional line depending upon how the SIP trunking agent controls the resource. Some providers allow unlimited calls using a single number for up to a certain number of minutes while others keep to the more traditional charge by the line or how many simulataneous calls.

As jpillow points out, the 3CX softphone for Windows handles mutiple profiles, so this would be ideal if, for instance, you were in a third country and wanted to make a call back into the UK or the other originating country.

Notwithstanding the need to find the right SIP providers, your only issues might be bandwidth, NAT'ting through any firewalls that might not be in your direct control and a 3CX install license that covers how ever many simultaneous calls you envision.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You would not even have to use a UK VoIP provider as the outgoing trunk (if it is simply outgoing). Shop around, there are VoIP providers located in other countries that offer very good toll rates to most European countries. This can depend on what numbers you are calling...landline or mobile, etc. Many will not charge a monthly fee, only for time used, and will charge in one second or six second increments.

There are also companies based in the UK that offer free incoming UK numbers if you require one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.