Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Using VoIP & Virtual Numbers

Discussion in 'iOS' started by corinne83, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corinne83

Hi all, I am a complete novice when it comes to all this and need some help please. I am setting up a new business and need a landline number. I am going to have to buy a virtual geographical number and have decided on Net-Telco as they have the best deal. The problem is i am trying to find a software which will enable me to forward this virtual number to VoIP so i don't have to pay a call charge for every incoming call as i can't afford it right now. I also need to answer the calls on my iphone. Will this software allow me to do this?
    Net-Telco says this on there website "you will have a free Solo SIP account from Net-Telco you can receive calls from your Net-Telco number for free and make calls at our very low call rates. Our Solo account is a basic free account that allows you to make and receive calls through Net-Telco using a compatible SIP phone."
    By using this software will i be able to divert my calls to this software and answer them for free or have i got completely the wrong end of the stick for the use of this software?
    Appreciate anyone's help, as i am going round and round in circles and have no technical knowledge.
    Thanks, Corinne

2. markshehan

markshehan New Member

Hi Corrine

It should work for what you want it to do.

A virtual geographic number is still a "real" telephone number. It just means you are not tied to the area code where you live. For example you may live in Dallas and have 972 area codes but want a 903 area code number as you have a large customer base there.

It has nothing to do with forwarding.

Depending on your provider you could then forward the calls on that number to a cell phone (this only allows you to receive calls on that number) or use a sip phone (physical or softphone) to connect to your sip account with the provider and make and receive calls. This is what you are describing.

So in answer to your questions, yes you can use the 3cx for iPhone to do this as long as your provider supports it. Most do if they use the sip standards but not all, and then you may have problems with your carrier allowing calls over their data network. The only way to find out is to set it up.

You can also use the 3cx softphone for windows on your pc with a headset and mic to do the same thing. And if your provider allows it you can have them both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.