V1.3.4 Subsequent calls, no audio

Discussion in 'Android' started by k9protection, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k9protection

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: [Samsung Galaxy S]
    Firmware Version: [Darky Rom 10.2 (Gingerbread)]

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Handset: [Phone]
    Contacts: [N/A]
    Connection: [Any connection]
    Server: [internal]

Hi to all, we're running in to problems with voice calls to 3CX soft-phones on our AsteriskNOW FreePBX installation, running Asterisk 1.8

We have the 3CX soft-phone software (1.3.4 on Android, 1.1.5 on iphone) and when the software makes or receives the first call, it's perfectly OK. When the phone's user tries to make or receive subsequent calls, there is either no audio or one way audio. This makes no difference if the soft-phone devices are on the same LAN or across the country.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the 3CX soft-phone for Windows is working fine, it seems to be just the handheld devices, and it matters not whether they are connected to the same LAN or connecting via the mobile network.

Any advice on what may be causing this would be appreciated - to say it's frustrating having to re-boot the software after each call is an under-statement.

Thanks in advance
    PG

2. k9protection

Interestingly, I've just installed SIPDroid on my Galaxy S, and the problem doesn't seem to occur in this software - any ideas as to why 3CX is having a problem would be appreciated :)

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My guess would be an incompatibility issue. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a guarantee that it will work on all combinations of phones, Android versions, conflict with other Apps, providers, etc......

4. k9protection

I hate text sometimes, I can't work out if you're being sarcastic, stating the obvious, or trying to help..

Will try future versions of 3CX as and when they come on the market - just seems strange that we got the same issue on Android and Apple, yet other SIP clients are fine - which made me think someone else might have ran in to the problem - its' a pity as 3CX is by far the prettiest client. Oh well.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm stating the obvious because, if you look back through the forum, there are many instances of various phones having issues. As the folks at 3CX have said, they only have access to so many handsets for testing, and being located in Europe, not a lot from other markets, such as North America.

Many providers order handsets that they distribute, with certain "custom" restrictions or additions embedded in the the phone. This, along with, perhaps, conflicts with other running applications, can cause unforeseen problems.

There are very few products (if any) offered nowadays that are absolutely ,positively. guaranteed to work with so many variations of hardware/firmware.

6. nlandas

What you say is true to an extent. However, there are many applications in the Android Market that run on multiple handsets and use the internal mic without a problem. Also, the key with this problem is that it works fine the first time. If there was a compatibility issue with the software and the hardware then it would never work. It sounds more like a bug in the software where it isn't correctly releasing/reinitializing something.

I think 3CX is missing an opportunity to work with some of the members of the forum who are willing to debug this issue with multiple handsets by only helping paying customers. Before quickly saying, "Well that makes perfect sense. Why would they debug Android App issues with users only running the demo.", look at it this way -- I won't become a paying customer if the majority of reputable Android handsets aren't supported easily with 3CX. I can't have my Administration buy a phone system that won't easily work with most of our employees Android handsets.

Since multiple users are reporting the same issue, first call after launch works fine, subsequent calls fail to send audio from the Android device. I would suspect that correcting the issue on one handset has a chance of correcting it on other handsets as well. I find it hard to believe that this would not be beneficial to 3CX in promoting and selling its software.

-Nyle

7. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

at first we should close this here due to we are on V2.0.1 now.
    Also we only can support some devices due to there are just to many models out there and they all do some things different.
    I am not even starting with the issue of supporting Darky Rom 10.2 custom roms... a galaxy s it self works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.