• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

v10 - Abys Web Server-restarting everyday at 04:00AM?**YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr3151006

Reaction score
After review my EventViewer\System (Windows XP spk3) I found that everyday the service 'Abyss Web Server' take a restart.

This is a normal/expected behavior?

* take a look below about EventViewer entries.

tks,

Renato P

Tipo de evento: Informações
Fonte de evento: Service Control Manager
Categoria do evento: Nenhuma
Id. do evento: 7035
Data: 1/6/2011
Hora: 04:00:01
Usuário: AUTORIDADE NT\SYSTEM
Computador: SIPSERVER
Descrição:
O serviço Abyss Web Server recebeu com êxito um controle Iniciar.

Para obter mais informações, visite o Centro de ajuda e suporte em http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------

Id. do evento: 7036
Usuário: N/A
Descrição:
O serviço Abyss Web Server entrou no estado executando.

Para obter mais informações, visite o Centro de ajuda e suporte em http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------

Id. do evento: 7035
Usuário: AUTORIDADE NT\SYSTEM
Descrição:
O serviço Abyss Web Server recebeu com êxito um controle parar.

---------------------

Id. do evento: 7036
Usuário: N/A
Descrição:
O serviço Abyss Web Server entrou no estado interrompido.

Re: v10 - Abys Web Server - restarting everyday at 04:00 AM?

yes i have read somewhere that they recycle the webpages 4 am everyday so that the new day is with a fresh webpage
you can change that setting if u want

Re: v10 - Abys Web Server - restarting everyday at 04:00 AM?

Yes this is intended behavior to maintain the health of the webserver.

A webserver needs to recycle. Now Abyss does not have this recycling method like iis so we restart it every day at 4am your time. Is this a problem?

You can change it at your own risk - just go to the scheduled task and adjust it to when you want.

Re: v10 - Abys Web Server-restarting everyday at 04:00AM?**Y

Yes this is a problem. Any app that needs to be restarted every day must have some serious memory leaks or other bits of nastiness happening. The main problem is that users show up at their desks every morning to find MyPhone logged out and they have to log back in again even though they hit the "remember me" button every time. I personally find it appalling that an app is so bad that it needs to be restarted daily. I have never needed to restart IIS or Apache on a daily basis.

Yes this is a problem. Any app that needs to be restarted every day must have some serious memory leaks or other bits of nastiness happening.

No you are incorrect. Every webserver needs to recycle to maintain what is called as webserver health. Recycling is different than restarting. Restarting is used only in abyss because it does not support recycling. So we have no option but to restart the webserver until it is implemented. Proper Recycling is the process of spawning a new worker process and eventually replacing the other worker process whilst the other worker process is running. When the new spawned worker is up, the previous is stopped keeping the webserver up at all times. Assuming that there are no memory leaks, a webserver will always grow and grow in memory and threads. Hence the recycling process was invented and supported to keep healthy current cache in it and remove the old outdated cache.

The main problem is that users show up at their desks every morning to find MyPhone logged out and they have to log back in again even though they hit the "remember me" button every time.

We are assuming that users go to sleep at some point. What you never go to bed and remain working all the time? The MyPhone happens to be as CLIENT Application. A client application is not a server application. A server application is one that remains running forever. A client application is designed in this world we live in to run for an amount of time and be stopped or exited or restarted. What is the point of keeping an client application open 24/7 when you are not even present 24/7? Do not complain about stuff that everybody implements in the same way. Do you keep your personal or work skype account running all the time? Do you leave your computer on all the time? If yes why?

I personally find it appalling that an app is so bad that it needs to be restarted daily. I have never needed to restart IIS or Apache on a daily basis.

I find it appalling that you think you are reporting issues in 3CX that are not considered to be issues worldwide. Look at all the Microsoft web application pools - exchange, owa etc running under IIS. They are all set to recycle daily or a number of times. Also it depends on the web service that you are hosting or the web applications you had experience with in the past. If you are showing a couple of links in your website or some images, then of course you do not need to restart the webserver. What memory can be accumulated if you have a couple of static links here and there? What variant cache can you have here? But with all the stuff going on in MyPhone + IVR with VXML and silverlight technologies, plus max users logging in simultaneously, requests coming from everywhere, then yes you must keep the application healthy and this is the way to do it.

The concept of recycling in IIS goes full force in it's recommendations to use recycling. Hence we use it. Apache is a different story and although the one of the best webserver in the world (if not the most scalable), Cannot be really compared when it is natively optimized to go hand in hand with php - a technology we are not using. Nonetheless, it still supports recycling. (Because the recycling concept is now a golden rule of thumb in a webserver). Apache's recommendations also state that the goal here is to recycle each process once per day, as apache threads gradually increase their memory allocation as they run.

However based on this discussion, we can try to do something to improve this and make things standard like other webapplications. This is to save the remember me details in the login page display. You will still find your myphone logged out in the morning but you will have the details hidden in the login screen like this ******** This is the only way to do it. Then you press login and you will be logged in without entering details.

However at the moment, if you find the myphone login screen, the cooke is still saved, So to test that remember me is working, when you find the myphone open at the login screen, simply close it and start it again. You will see that the myphone will remember you and log you in.

Do you keep your personal or work skype account running all the time? Do you leave your computer on all the time? If yes why?

Yes I do actually. My computers are never turned off. The only time they get rebooted is when I get a Microsoft update that requires a reboot.

Why? There are a number of reasons. I can't get Skype or Instant Messages if my computer is turned off. I can't touch a key and have instant-on if I just need the machine for a few minutes. The vast majority of businesses I deal with never turn off their computers at night, in fact, most users don't even log out, they MAYBE turn off their monitors before they go home. Then these people come in the next morning and everything is exactly the way they left it, EXCEPT MyPhone which is logged out. Outlook is running, their instant message client is running and logged in, everything is working properly except MyPhone.

This is how the vast majority of people work, just because you think it is not correct does not change the reality of the situation.

nickybrg said:
[...]
We are assuming thatusers go to sleep at some point. What you never go to bed and remain working all the time? The MyPhone happens to be as CLIENT Application. A client application is not a server application. A server application is one that remains running forever.
[...]

Except, obviously, in the case of Abyss, eh?

This is not a problem for me except that the first incoming call of the day sometimes has such a long delay before the outgoing message that the caller hangs up (and later tells me they were unable to reach me).

Is there a way to get the thing up to speed after the server recycling process?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.