Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

V10 - Default Value for Auth ID, Authentication ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by snowsam, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowsam

I am setting up a new v10 system and today added new extensions. I am using 4 digit extensions.

When adding an extension, I hit "add extension" and then typed over the default "1000" for the extension number and put in my number 3160. I then filled in name, email address, etc.

When I came to Auth ID, it was already filled in as "1000". I left it alone and eventually saved and started to add another new extension (3161). It too defaulted the Auth ID to "1000" and did not complain that is was a duplicate value of the extension set up before.

Questions:
    1. It seems obvious to me that is is a bad thing to have multiple extensions set up to have the same Auth ID (but different passwords). Correct? Things are not going to work!

2. What should I change the Auth ID to be for all these extensions that now have the same AUTH-ID?
    ? Something different than the extension number? Something random and hard for a computer to guess? Prefix + extension or Extension + Suffix? All numbers or alpha-numeric?

3. Should the user interface be improved to error check for this condition?

Thanks everyone for chiming in,
    Sam

2. nbailey

nbailey Member

Auth ID and Password should always be changed from default no matter what the default value comes up as. The only two agents using this information is the phone and the phone system. I always recommend using a 7-10 value for these fields, something difficult to guess and not a value from a dictionary, i.e. 76eAd2oRqV1 or something similar as once this information is entered rarely will it need to be edited. But this is my opinion but it is never best practice to leave these fields as default or similarly simple equivalent.

Thanks,

Nate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. snowsam

Nate,

Thank you for your time and clarification.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.