V10 Install Feedback - .net 4**NTF

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by abc123, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Hi

We are doing a clean install so we have a process for new customers.

I know we need .net 4 but I wanted to see what happened if it was not on the new pc.

We are using Win2k8 R2.

The install failed saying there was no .net 4 (this was as soon as the install started).

Can I suggest the prerequisite is added to the installer so it will automatically download it from Microsoft's site when it detects it is not installed? We do this with most of our programs and never seem to have a problem with the installations (MS shows their EULA for .net and then the download happens as part of your install).

Of course this may just be missing from the beta in which case I will shut up and go back to my corner :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MichaelB

MichaelB Member
    3CX Support

Re: V10 Install Feedback - .net 4

I think it is acceptable that you download framework 4 manually. If you Google, in seconds you find it. Its the same thing. It's a pre-requisite that is needed. This is something you do once. Maybe 3CX Is not installed on an internet accessible network. We have seen it in the past. We have 3CX Installed at schools, and other institutions that control internet access. Google it aye - this is a server product - what do you expect? You have to give the machine FULL Service packs and updates and anything that the installer complains about.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smb1

smb1 New Member

I agree that putting in the automatic download/install is a good idea, but during the beta cycle there may be more important things to concentrate on.

Maybe something for V10 SP1. :D

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

But this is something you do only once. We can do it yes but we have much more imp things to do.
    Also I know installations that do not have an internet connection (schools and government entities etc.). This is reasonable to leave out. Maybe you/your system is not ready to download framework 4 at the moment.

5. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

I started a fresh install and face problems about .Net4 so I downloaded and installed (mannualy) and run setup again... SURPRISE!!!!! Now the installation wizard shows an strange error, after looking about that error I found that the problem was to install POSTGREE db - wich needs .Net v3.5!!!!

>>>>> Why the installer cannot check/notify about .Net pre-requisites???

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I started a fresh install and face problems about .Net4 so I downloaded and installed (mannualy) and run setup again...

>>What were the initial problems you had with Framework 4? Why did you have the need to install manually?

SURPRISE!!!!! Now the installation wizard shows an strange error, after looking about that error I found that the problem was to install POSTGREE db - wich needs .Net v3.5!!!!

>>What is the error you have exactly? A screenshot will be helpful. Just put the error in here.

Why the installer cannot check/notify about .Net pre-requisites???

>>What is the OS you have installed?

7. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

I installed on a fresh Xp spk3, so I dont had .Net4 and then I found that I need v3.5 for POSTGREE...

* I dont have screen-shot anymore...

tks,

Renato P

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

But Service pack 3 should contain .net framework 3.5 inside. This is why we do not check for pre-requisites because we disallow users to install on XP without Service pack 3 installed. So that is where the check is made. At OS detection level.

Is 3CX installed but at the moment? Because all you need to do to get that screenshot is trigger an installation and wait. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.