v10 SP2 - MyPhone minimize to tray

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by clarity2, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarity2

I noticed that the MyPhone does now show up in the system tray, but on my Windows 7 it seems that it also stays in the task bar no matter if you click minimize or close.

This is better than the previous version in terms of avoiding accidental exiting, but still would be better if it would actually go into the tray.

Wondering if this is the intended behavior, a bug or still a work in progress? Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

- Bill

2. willow

willow Member

it works that way on my xp machines as well. I am assuming that it is intended behavior thou annoying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cfive

cfive Member

I have the update on 3 PBX's, IIS and Abyss, XP and Win7 clients, local and remote myphone - all behave the same with both taskbar and tray showing.

Thanks - Les.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jim@itstod.se

jim@itstod.se New Member

Agree, this is better but not good enough. Real minimize to tray as with ver. 9 Assistant it would be great.

5. tsteffens

Yes, please get rid of taskbar icon when minimizing.

6. jcasares

An annoyance for sure but might be because they couldn't find a better way with Silverlight.

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

We can do this yes - But we looked at skype and this is how skype does it.
    Skype has at the moment has 24,769,127 users online. We think that if skype do it like this, we are on the safe side.

MyPhone is like a critical application. So the close in a critical application does not close but minimizes to the system tray. (technically speaking yes - only there not in the task bar too.) But what is the problem of having it in the taskbar too?

What we were planning to do is to enable exit of the application from right click taskbar icon. That will be useful. Sometimes you have to search for the icon in the system tray.

Don't you all use skype? Does it bother you guys in there too?

8. clarity2

Skype does not behave that way for me.

Minimize = Minimize to Tray and Taskbar
    [X] = Minimize to Tray Only

This is the same behavior we get from other Tray applications and I think is pretty standard.

The problem with having it in both places is that it's too intrusive for those users for which it is not as critical an application.

If you have the ability to do it, why not make it an option? As I mentioned, I'm not sure about other users, but Skype definitely does not sit in the taskbar when idle on my workstation. Possibly when I'm in a conversation, but I haven't checked that yet.

Thanks!

- Bill

9. jcasares

I have to agree with clarity2. Not the way Skype behave.
    If you're able to do it then make it an option. I thought you weren't able.
    Or if you don't want the option do it as with previous 3CX Assistant that didn't have a task bar icon as well.

10. garyjduk

Yes please if it could be an option that would be great.

My staff and some people are just funny when it comes to their desktops - everything the way they like it!!
    It probably wouldn't have been that big an issue if that was the way it was before but it wasn't and nearly everybody has mentioned it and wants it the way it was. (and v10 has only been running for 2 days!)

Strange but true. :roll:

11. clarity2

So Nicky do you think this is something that could get fixed at some point?

Thanks!
    - Bill

12. ivort

Gotta agree with those who say that when clicking on [x] it should *not* stay in the taskbar - it should shrink to the systray. Is pure hubris to think that your application is so darned important that it must always be on show in the task bar. Like everyone else, I use my computer for multi-tasking, and I expect things like phones to be a background function, but ready to pick up in an instant from the systray, not taking up real estate on my taskbar. And please, don't say that the new standard for 3CX is 'no worse than sykpe' - sheesh.

13. ivort

Sorry. 'Hubris' may have been a bit strong. It had been a long and frustrating day...

• It takes up valuable space all of the time even when it is only used a bit of the time
    • Yes MyPhone is important, but it is one of lots of important things all running on my computer all the time - firewalls, network monitors, phone, IM clients, quick-launchers, screen-grab tools needed for my work, synchronisation agents, wireless and bluetooth connections, etc etc. If they all demanded space on my task bar all the time, my task bar would be overcrowded and unmanageable. 3CX Assistant/MyPhone is important, yes, but not so important that it has to be on my task bar even when I am not doing any tasks with it.
    • It should be for me to decide whether or not I want it on my task bar; not the developer. I know best how I like my screen organised.

Thanks.

14. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

This issue has been solved with SP3.
    You need to reinstall MyPhone application.

See: http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-v10-service-pack-3/

Regards

15. jcasares

It doesn't appear as available in our system.

16. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You need to log into your 3cx server using Windows Management Console (not the web interface) and check for 3CX Service Packs / Updates in the menu. Read the blog post before that (quoted above).

Regards

17. jcasares

That's what I did. Even restarted 3CX system and it still doesn't appear.

18. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Quite strange. I've updated to SP3 all my customers installations -- everywhere the update passed fine.

19. jcasares

Don't know what could be. Never happened before as I updated previous occasions without any trouble and even updated a pair of new Phone provisioning templates today. :(

20. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Could you have your upgrade insurance expired ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.