v10 - SPA502g/SPA504G - frmw 7.48a - Restart all time!**IMP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jr3151006, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

ADVICE
    #######

Hey guys,

be careful with the new version of firmware for Cisco SPA50x - v7.48a!! After update my ip phones they restart 2 or 3 times a day!

>>>>> I never face that problem with firmware v7.4.7!!!

tks,

Renato P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. equintana

Re: v10 - SPA502g/SPA504G - frmw 7.48a - Restart all time!

Hi,

I only have cisco spa 504 g4 devices with 7.4.8a and v10.... No problem

Regards

3. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

Hi equintana,

you are a luck guy! Are you using that IP phones with P.O.E switch?
    Take a look below on RELEASENOTES.TXT file from v74.8a.

* I´m using SFE2000P switch.
    * I found your previous post about the same/similar subject (http://www.3cx.com/forums/v10-and-new-cisco-spa-firmwares-phone-question-19809.html).

tks,

Renato P

RELEASE NOTES
    ##############

SPA5x5 Firmware Maintenance Release
    ===================================

Release 7.4.8a
    --------------
    Mar 22, 2011

This release fixes a critical bug that affects the SPA50x and SPA30x phones operating in SPCP mode.

Bug fixes and changes since 7.4.8
    =================================
    - CSCto11646: Phone crashes or behaves erratically in SPCP mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Thanks guys for posting this here. Very informative...

5. equintana

Re: v10 - SPA502g/SPA504G - frmw 7.48a - Restart all time!**

HI,

NO, I´m using those cisco phones with rj-45 and power supply. NOT POE.

Check for poe power problems with your switch.Also a firmware error with 3cx

6. jcasares

Using them (8 units) without PoE and no problem so far.

7. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Just an idea - may help as workaround:
    Try disabling firmware upgrade as first step and disabling auto provisioning as second step in the phones.
    I had similar problems with constant rebooting of SPA-941 with latest firmware and solved it this way.

BR

8. MichaelB

MichaelB Member
    3CX Support

I've met with this problem even with firmware 7.4.7.
    I had a case were my cisco phones reboots nearly 5 times a day.

But it might be that I am too rough with them too :)
    Thanks

9. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

Just fyi,

We have only one unit of SPA941 running with the last firmware without problems!

tks,

Renato P

10. netswork

netswork Active Member

We have 525's with latest firmware and they reboot at least once a day with processing voice application. We have tried several different firmware versions and they are not set for provisioning.

11. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes cisco phones are set to reprovision once every 24 hours. This is normal. 1 minute of downtime every 24 hours to make these phones exceptionally reliable. Does this bother you?

You can disable this if you want. (Well not disable it, but set the resync period to a higher value - example once a week)

All firmwares give this behavior. Use the latest firmware always however. It has bug fixes that are important.

12. jr3151006

jr3151006 New Member

Interesting idea:
    http://3cx.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Support-CISCO-SPA-Resync-At-HHMM-time-of-day-feature/306784-9854

13. efounco

efounco New Member

Not sure if it's related, but there's a flaw in the Cisco provisioning template that causes the phones to reboot/re-provision if the message waiting indicator light is on during a resync period. By default, the provisioning template is hard coded to turn off the message waiting indicator light. Thus, if it has been turned on by the 3CX system, the phone will automatically re-provision itself, reboot and turn the light off (regardless if there's a message waiting in the system or not). It's a relatively large bug if you rely on the message waiting indicator light for voicemail messages...

14. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hold on - the MWI was OFF because it was a bug that was reversed in cisco.

Switching it on would not get the MWI to work and off would.

Can you confirm what firmware you are using at the moment and what setting do you confirm that this needs to be.

A cisco phone reboots all the time because it does not find the correct provisioning files it is expecting on the server. 100% guaranteed. Let me know on this.

15. netswork

netswork Active Member

we are using the latest 7.4.9c firmware with no issues other than the 24 hour reboot. Nicky, where in the template can we modify the value to increase that re-provision?

Thanks!

16. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

<!--# The "Resync_Periodic" field defines the interval (in seconds) between 1 provisioning cycle and the rest. Since this is the stage 2 file, this is set to 86400 seconds (24 hours).-->
    <Resync_Periodic group="Provisioning/Configuration_Profile">86400</Resync_Periodic>

what would you change this too? Any ideas?

It was 12 hours by default and we changed it to 24. We did it like this so

You provision the phone out of office hours - (Maintenance normally should be made out of office hours. )
    timer will start from out of office hours.
    Lke this the phone will provision every 24 hours, out of office hours. user will not notice because he/she will be out of office hours and cisco phonebook is always updated and config is accurate in case changes are made.

However I think we can increase this to a week. Let me know if you have any ideas on this.

17. netswork

netswork Active Member

Thanks for that info. I think one week would be a better time. What would be best is if the actual time could be set rather than starting a timer from the point of provisions. If we could set the time to resync during a time that best suited the customer would be an optimal solution. If a change was made to the phone that required a restart, I think that phone would be restarted then rather than waiting for a 24 hour restart period.

Its my understanding that an actual time can be set to resync in the later versions of firmware.

18. efounco

efounco New Member

This is how "Resync_Periodic" works:

1. "Resync_Periodic" tells the phone, in seconds, how often the phone should check for provision changes on the network and/or reboot. This is set to 86400 (24 hours) by the default 3CX template. Also, this amount is offset by a random interval so that all the phones on the network don't re-sync at once.
    2. "Resync_At_HHmm" specifics the time, in 24 hour format, when the phones should check for provision changes on the network and/or reboot. This is not defined by the default 3CX template and is blank by default. Also, this amount is offset by a random interval so that all the phones on the network don't re-sync at once.

When the phone re-syncs, unless there's a discrepancy between the 3CX provisioning template and the phone's settings, it shouldn't re-provision the phone.

OK, now let's assume that the phones are all connected and working properly. Someone receives a voicemail message because they are on vacation. The 3CX phone system turns the message waiting indicator on to indicate that there's a message waiting in voicemail. Unfortunately, when the phone re-syncs that night, it gets to this line in the 3CX provisioning template:

<Message_Waiting group="Info/Ext_1_Status">No</Message_Waiting>

and determines that there's a discrepancy in the phone's settings (because the value is Yes). Thus, it re-provisions the phone and reboots...

See the problem here? If you have "Resync_Periodic" defined in the 3CX provisioning template along with "Message_Waiting" set to "No", the phone will ALWAYS re-provision and reboot itself if there's a message waiting.

2 things become of this:

1. The phone re-provisions when it's not necessary
    2. The message waiting indicator light gets turned off even if a message is waiting.

BTW, we have "Resync_Periodic" set to "" (nothing). We also added "Resync_At__HHmm" and set it to "0200" (2am). I like the ability to control approximately when my phones reboot versus being at the mercy of an amount with random intervals.

19. netswork

netswork Active Member

Thanks for your reply efounco.

What is the need for <Message_Waiting group="Info/Ext_1_Status">No</Message_Waiting> and can it just be removed?

20. efounco

efounco New Member

You can either comment it out or completely remove it. Anything that's not specifically assigned by the provisioning template is not modified when the phone re-provisions itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.