• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

V11 Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardwilliams

Reaction score
I see that in this version there is now no way to send any notification that a new email has arrived in the free version given that email notification no longer works and MWI is only in the commercial versions.

I realise that 3CX is not in the business of supplying free software, they are looking to sell licences but it does seem a shame that the free version is becoming more and more unusable. While you wouldn't expect a free version to have all the latest features in each release I think it should have at least the features it had before. If I remember correctly the product was once completely free and even when a commercial edition was launched the free version could still make 8 consecutive calls.

I understand the importance making the licensed versions commercially viable and distinguishing them from the free version but it does seem the distinction is getting greater than necessary. Surely only being able to make four calls ensures that most business would have to buy the licence as they should.

It strikes me that the whole point of the free version is to promote the product and its use and provide a window of use towards a licensed version. I imagine that there are plenty of users who have used and developed their use in the free version moving onto a licensed version for commercial use. Certainly I can't see home users wanting to pay for product that will only get limited use and yet among those home users must be those who will choose the next PBX at work.

And I think it's important to recognise that while free users don't contribute revenue they do contribute to the development of the product through suggestions on the ideas page and through the forum helping to support the product. Without the patience of the original free users would the product be what it is today. It took an investment in time if not money on their part to use the product.

I like 3CX and think it's a valuable product. We use a commercial version at work and it is an excellent product but I also use the free version at home. I don't expect all the bells and whistles at home but it would be nice if the product remained useable and free users had the confidence of knowing that while the product for them might not surge forward it would at least not go backwards.

I do remember reading somewhere that 3CX is committed to continuing the free version, I assume that is still the case and I think that is a good thing for both the users and the product. I also think there should be clear distinction between licensed and free versions. For the small business version and above the distinction is clear, the amount of calls you can make, the features are somewhat irrelevant, if you need to make up to 16 calls at any time you need a commercial version. The only product that sells off features is the mini version.

It would appear that the current strategy is to make the free version as bare as possible. I think it would be better to do just the opposite, make the free version as rich as possible without impeding the potential to sell the mini version. The more feature rich the product is the better it promotes its use, and surely in the long run that will increase licence sales.

I think the next update should either put back in the versatility of the email notification, or if not include MWI in the free version so at least some basic form of voice mail notification is available. It would be a shame if future development was restricted unnecessarily. May be the long term aim of 3CX is to phase out the free version, but I fear that would damage its development in the end.

V11 is currently in BETA release, not even a Release Candidate yet, 3CX also released a license key to enable all enterprise features in this version with a 2 call limitation, the same 2 call limitation as the free version. You have to also assume the features that will be available in the final version will change. Until now 3CX has quietly issued the 2 user evaluation license and has also done so with V11 BETA, there hasn't been any indication that this will change in future releases.

I've also seen many posts of users abusing the free full feature license key issued for evaluation purposes, it's meant for evaluation purposes and not for regular commercial use. Spending nearly 2 years evaluating a software package is a bit much, if they crack down on this in the future, I couldn't blame them for that.

As a friend of mine used to say..."they want ice water in hell too, that doesn't mean they're going to get it"

You have your choice, as it has been for a long time, free version = four concurrent calls, Demo code= two calls. Should be more than enough for non-commercial use. The idea being that if you are using it in a work environment,( i.e., using it to make money), you should be paying for it, as you would for any business tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.