Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

V11 Install Failure [SOLVED]

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lneblett, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Had V10 SP6 installed on Win 7 Pro machine Sp1 with plenty of power and memory. I decided to try the Beta and backed up V10, unstalled it and then proceeded with the V11 install. Unfortunately, it appears that the installer does the file extraction and then checks the target machine before actually commencing with the file installation. In my case, the checking resulted in an error "specified port already in use: 5000". Looking at netstat I see where the local address 0.0.0.0 and foreign address 0.0.0.0 are listening to TCP port 5000, but the process owner is the "system'. Similarly, it also shows local [ : : ]:5000, foreign [ : : ]:0 with the system again being the process owner. These are the only 2 entries with 5000 as the port number. I have tried a number of things to include disabling uPnP services, disabling the NIC, diabling port forwarding in the router and more, but all to no avail and I now find myself unable to reinstall V10 as its installer gives the same error. I have a request into Support, but was hopeful that someone else had run into (and fixed) the same issue as I am pretty much dead in the water. Virtually anything and everything I had on the system related to 3CX is removed - MyPhone, Hotel module, Softphone, directories, registry entries, etc. System event log shows nothing other than same error code.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

2. tom_ch

Re: V11 Install Failure

Hi,

I had some trouble once with the v10 Installer during the extraction of the files.
    The solutions was to restart the computer, how simple it sounds.
    But I'm very sure you tried that already :D

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Had no problems here. Win7 on a VMware install.
    Uninstalled
    Rebooted (force of habit on Windows when removing anything)
    Installed

I was in a position that I didn't use a backup to restore as we are not live yet and it gives me a chance to clean up any mess I made experimenting previously. :shock:

Hope you can get it worked out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Have you used the install checker to assure all files have been removed after your uninstall? If not I'd suggest you attempt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lneblett

Yes, have used the install checker and all was clean. It appears that there is a service running that uses the port. I turned off almost all Ma services and App installed services using msconfig, and am now beyond the port in use issue, but now getting an IIS configuration issue error and that the original settings will be restored, whereupon it rolls back. I have to run IIS in order to run the hotel module.

6. lneblett

Well, sort of stuck. Get a fatal error with an exception code, but hit ok and the install continues. Then I get another error about iis needing to be version 5 or higher, but the default in win 7 is iis v7. From there another rollback. This, after uninstalling iis and reinstalling just to be certain. Still digging, but I have a ton of stuff on this system and hate to reload. Ave a few more things to try, but really want to understand this so if I run into it at customer site, I know how to resolve.

7. lneblett

Have made some progress uninstalled iis and net framework 4. Reinstalled with most services disabled and now have some functionality, but not all. Still working on it.

8. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi,

Try to use "netstat - ano" to see the process ID that keeps port 5000 occupied, and after that use process explorer to search for that process and kill it manually.

9. lneblett

Re: V11 Install Failure {solved}

Did that from the very beginning which is why I questioned about system PID 4, which was the process that owned whatever was using the port, but thanks anyway as I appreciate it that someone from 3CX takes an interest and tries to help us all out.

In any event, Eleoson from 3CX support pointed me in the right direction. It had to do with IIS application pool and that the prior unistall apparently did not remove the prior instances.

So it appears that I had a corrupt netframework 4 install and the IIS application pool issue going on. The install checker apparently does not check the pool aspect. Used the IIS manager to delete the pool to include the site, then manually removed all evidence of 3CX from directories, registry and anywhere else I could find. Rebooted system, disabled all anti-virus and installed again, and finally, all worked as the prior upgrades have in the past.

All is well, amd now I can play :mrgreen:
    thanks to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.