V12.5.26 - Unsupported Device

Discussion in 'Android' started by telis, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telis

telis New Member

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: UVP
    Firmware Version: Unknown

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-voip/uvp/

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Handset: Phone
    Contacts: N/A
    Connection: Ethernet
    Server: Internal

Amazing looking new handset - good fit for 3CX. Only $149 USD.

Have you seen this? Any plans to support the phone for the 3CX app?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This device does not appear to be a stand-alone set and to work requires their "Security Gateway". It may not be suable for use with, or may, in some ways compete with 3CX.

3. telis

telis New Member

It only got delivered today and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet in but first impressions are that it's just a very generic android OS on a deskphone. It's beautifully made - not just plastic but metal and glass, and the touch screen is very nice.

If I'm honest I think it might have been better if they had supplied a locked down or forked version of android. I'm not sure angry birds on your work phone is the way to go. On the other hand I don't know much about what lockdown and manageability features android has, I'm more familiar with MS and Apple OSes.

It has a custom SIP client preinstalled which has some kind of propriety provisioning system which uses their UniFi Controller software, I haven't managed to make this work yet but this may well work fine with 3CX, But the physically the device would be a really nice fit for the existing 3CX andriod app.

As far as I can tell the USG gateway thingy isn't at all necessary. The whole thing is a bit too new and half baked so I can't make out where they are going with the USG. It does/will have PBX functionality but you won't be tied to it - http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-VoIP/Unifi-VOIP-Phones-REQUIRE-Unifi-Security-Gateway-And-other/td-p/941287

4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Late reply by me, certainly.
    We got a UVP and a USG four months ago.
    While "cute".. the UVP was a bit disappointing in terms of general features.
    Indeed it was a painful process with firmware updates and such in order to get it to become adoptable et al with our Unifi controller. Was overall disappointing.. the USG things were "rough" at best.. and nothing was going to integrate with 3CX anyway worth pursuing.

Sure, it registered an extension and worked fine that way.

Sadly, I couldn't shoehorn the 3CX Phone APK onto the unit to just make it native.. ;)

5. telis

telis New Member

Well I managed to get it adopted OK and it works very well. It wasn't the easiest but now I've done it once I could 100 times.

I think for a certain type of customer it might work very well - especially if you have your address book in Outlook/Exchange. Real shame about the lack of support from the client though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.