Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

V12.5 - Outbound Rules

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Futureweb, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

Hello,
    we are using T48G/T46G with external Phonebooks - Number Format: 0043 5352 66666
    VOIP Provider sends Numbers in the same Format: 0043 5352 66666

We want prefix 0 to get external Line - but now I got the problem that when I cann someone out of the Phonebook - the 0 is missing - and the call fails. Same when I call back someone from the "last caller" List ... 0 is missing - call is failing.

Any Tips on how to handle such a (standard) Scenario?

Thank you, bye from Austria
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Check your outbound rules,

Probably have a rule that strips the first digit of the number

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/outbound-rules-a-complete-example/

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I think you are saying that the inbound caller ID needs an extra "0" added to the front for the outbound call.
    Not sure how that would work on the phonebook match though. You could write new rules for numbers starting with 00 to allow for outbound calls and not look for the extra "0".

You may be able to do that with CID manipulation on the VOIP setup.
    Goto VOIP Providers, then find the VOIP provider. Expand the listing and click on the phone number. Then goto the Other Options tab and look at Reformat CID.
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/cid-formatting/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

mmhhhh - do I complicate the Setup to much?
    How do you normally realize such a Setup?

important:
    - insta call internal Numbers (4 digits)
    - internal numbers and external numbers can overlap (66666 can be external while 6666 can be internal) - that's why I need to fetch external line

With our current analog PBX it's this way ... when Number starts with 0 it fetches external line - all other Numbers are handled internal.

Thx
    Andreas

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the rules are hierarchical and that if there is not an rule for a given format,then the call will not go out.

So. if you have 666 which is an extension and a need to dial 666-666-6666 which is external, you could simply enter a rule that covers the length of the latter number (10) which by definition rules out the former 666. You could also add to the same rule and use "starts with 666" and has a length of 10 (or as needed) and then designate the outbound trunk to avoid any overlap.

The need to dial a number first in order to get a specific line is pretty muck no longer required as you can use the rules to build the outbound calling needs. Those who continue to use it do so because the staff is used to the legacy nature of the old system.

In your case you may even need to consider putting in a rule that strips the leading 0 on calls so that the 0 is not passed onto the carrier.

6. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

i see, i see!
    But there are "problems" which I can't solve with Rules I fear! :(

Internal Ring-Call: 7000 (extension)
    Number of one of our Customers in our Town: 7000
    Since it's in the same Town - one does not need to type the Location Code ...

How to solve such overlappings? :-/

Andreas

7. Saqqara

Tricky one, only can think off

1. Could change extensions to 3 digits - which will involve starting from scratch so that the length of internal and external do not conflict

2. Create a rule to check numbers starting with 0 and delete this before dialling. You will have to add 0 to phonebook entries. Problem history numbers may still fail.

Maybe someone else has some clues

8. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

In the last example, I guess I do not consider that an overlap, but rather a match. The internal and external are the same. IN this case, I would bite the bullet and change the extension numbering scheme to be a different numbering scheme. While a pain in the short run, it solves the issue forever.

9. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

problem is that within our Town the numbering scheme can be
    - 2xxx
    - 6xxx
    - 7xxx
    - 8xxx
    and
    - 1xx (Emergency)

So there would not be thaaaat much room left for our internal Numbering Scheme ... :-(
    We got several Departments with their own number Range ... (7000 = Dep. 1; 8000 = Dep. 2, ...)

Changing to 3 Digit won't work also as we are colliding with Emergency Numbers then ...
    Hotel Room 112 collides with Emergency Number 112 ... (Hotel Room 120 tries to call Room 112 and reaches Emergency Center ... not that cool)

Didn't imagine that it's that hard to solve this Problem! :-/

Andreas

10. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Just create a new outbound rule ABOVE the rule that strips the zero for your outbound calls.

Calls to numbers starting with prefix: 00
    Then set your routes.
    Apply.

Done.
    EDIT : Oops, ok not really. I guess you'll have to specify the specific "calls to numbers with a length of" also to match your example. If the length of those external numbers vary then this won't work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In the case of 700 and 7000, keep in mind that VoIP (the PBX) isn't collecting digits one at a time as was the case with older analogue PBX's or PSTN switches. All the digits are sent at once (after the dial key, or # is hit, or a match is made in the phones, internal, dialplan), and are acted on in that manner. So the PBX will get 700, or 7000, and in the latter case 7000 does not equal 700.

12. Saqqara

Not sure if this would work.

I would image that you will block hotel guests ringing emergency services and only allow hotel staff , in which cause you could prefix the emergency number will numbers - i.e. 00 and strip this off in the dialling rules.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Situations, such as this, are why it requires some planning, before choosing a dialling scheme, and in particular, how many digits the system will use.

In the case of the hotel phones, and a possible conflict...it should be clearly marked, on the phone, to dial the hotel operator (or a hotel emergency number), in the case of an emergency. There are far too many possibilities of pranks being played, if rooms have direct access to outside emergency numbers.

I would suspect that, in most emergency cases, these days, guests have their own mobiles, which would be the first device that they would use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.