V14.0.50 New Voicemail not playing in app

Discussion in 'Android' started by dtm17, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm17

Since upgrading to V14 last month, voicemails are no longer able to be played within the android app (by selecting the vm, then selecting play). They do show up and if I select "play on phone" the phone rings and I am able to listen.

What makes this more strange is that voicemails received before the upgrade can still be played within the android app.

I have re-provisioned the phone and auto-configured through the welcome email with no luck. Everything else with the android app works without issue. (presence, phonebook, push, etc...)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is the voicemail file format the same?

3. dtm17

Thanks for the response...

Yes, voicemails are being saved in the same format - .WAV. I should also point out that I am able to listen to the voicemails when sent as a WAV file attachment through email.

It is only through the Android app when I select a new (since V14) voicemail then select "Play", it flashes "Sending Request" and then nothing happens.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would use a file manager, on the phone, to see if the old and new WAV files are located in the same folder. It almost sounds (no pun intended), as if the new files are not being saved where the App thinks that they should be.

5. dtm17

Thanks again...but...

All voicemails, old and new, are in the same location - C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Ivr\Voicemail\Extensions\"extension number"

6. 12494

12494 Member

I believe 3CX changed the compression in these recordings and some android players cannot play this but others can. I expect you could find more information already on the net if you search. You could just try a different player.

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

As 12494 said, in V14 (since V12.5 SP2 to be precise) the recordings and the voice mails are no longer PCM format, they are ADPCM. This was done after multiple requests we got to use a more compressed codec for the WAV files.

I know VLC for Android plays these files and I am fairly sure the iOS media player plays these files, most default Android media players though do not play this format though.

As this is usually the follow-up question, there is no way to change the recording format in V14.

8. dtm17

Great information...Thanks.

Although the VLC suggestion only seems applicable for listening to the voicemail .wav files sent to my android device by email, which is not the issue. I can (and always have been able to) play these files by using the VLC android app as you suggested.

BUT, What I am unable to do is listen to any new VM from WITHIN the android 3cx phone application. It looks to me that the android 3cx app uses a native player within the app itself and this is what seems to crap out when trying to play new vm's since the the V14 upgrade. I dont see any settings in the app to change the default player within the 3cx android app to use an external app like VLC.

Is it possible that the issue is with the android 3cx app not being able to play adpcm compressed files. Seems unlikely to me that I am the only one that uses this functionality.

Thanks Again
    Dan

9. 12494

12494 Member

Dan, That is interesting. I'm using the current version of Android app with my S5 and the app plays the voicemail fine.

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dtm17

Allen,

Interesting indeed. I have now tested it on all of our Android phones and it is the same on all...

MOTO G, MOTO X, Nexus 6p and a Nexus 5x. They are all able to play old messages, but not new ones.

So it does not seem to be an issue with the android app, but rather something in the PBX...now I just need to figure out what.

Dan

11. 12494

12494 Member

Dan,

When I tried and said it worked I wasn't even thinking that it may have been an old vm that I was playing.

I just went back and looked and it was an old vm. So I just created a new vm and accessed it from my Android app and played it and it played just fine.

Strange that it is not working for you.

Allen

12. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The thing is that this option uses the default Android media player in the background, so because some default/built-in media players support ADPCM and some don't, that's why on some Android devices it works and on some others not.

I have brought this to the R&D departments attention and I was told that they will look into alternatives.

For those however that currently cannot play the files, there is always the alternative of using the "Play on Phone" option.

13. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

* Update *

I just got word today that this is most likely going to be addressed in one of the next services packs, so even Android devices that can't play ADPCM wav files with their built-in media player should have no problem using the 'Play' option to listen to Voice Mails.

14. dtm17

I can verify that with the latest update to the android 3cx app, the issue is now resolved. All voice mails play correctly from within the 3cx app!

Thanks,
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.