V14 changes

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Nick Galea, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi All,

I have seen a number of posts about the V14 feature set. Of course a feature set changes with each version and some features get improved or implemented in a different way. Some are simply not used enough or compatible with modern IT requirements and those get removed. Some dont make it into the release build. Here is a short recap of what has changed in v14 and what our plans are for them:

a. Local and External FQDN - We prefer a single FQDN using split DNS but if this is not possible for whatever reason you will be able to specify a different local and external FQDN in SP1.

b. CDR - the old CDR output on the server is gone and will make way for a new web service API which allows you to connect and retrieve CDR records remotely. An application and its source code will be provided. This API will be available in SP2 or SP3 before year end. If you are using an external reporting application it would be good to know what reports you are using since we might implement these in our reporting module.

c. Wallboard - A separate website for the wallboard was too heavy on resources and so we removed it. We are planning a new web API, but in the meantime you can simply take the presence screen with the Queue status and maximize it on a screen? we also plan to add a queue monitor view to a new feature to be called Switchboard which will be an extension of the client.

d. LineIN/OUT - this is an outdated way of doing music on hold considering some PBXs are now hosted or in a private cloud. That said, we might consider a separate app that can be downloaded and installed for on premise systems that insist on this.

Hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. livn46

Thank you for an official reply. This helps clarify things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

No problem. SP 1 is around the corner and it is going to have many great features. Thank you for your patience

4. positron

CDR is a key component in hotel installations, where call records for guest rooms were pushed out in real time to a billing system and posted to a guest's bill via an automated process. Does this mean there will no longer be a process to push out real time call records and current billing interfaces will need to be scrapped and rewritten?

5. iangoh

Commenting on "d", this is not an outdated way.
    We have installed a virtual sound card software on our visualized server and was playing music using spotify on your previous 3cx version using Line In. However, V14 cannot do this anymore.
    Please bring back this feature.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Thank you all for your feedback.

@Positron - The CDR API will be perfectly suited for your application. An application will allow you to remotely put CDR to your application. Depending on your hotel app you might even make it pick up the CDR directly via our web API

@iangoh - There might be an add on install available for the on premise version. however on busy systems, one needs to minimize the resources used by music on hold. A music file that can be cached in memory is much more efficient....

7. raindrop

I agree with @iangoh regarding the Line In option.

Whilst I can see where you are coming from Nick in trying to streamline things for busy phone systems, it would be nice for those that don't have such a busy system to be able to use this feature again (or as you suggested in the original article, maybe a separate app that will provide a similar function - we want to be able to use a streaming service as we do on our soon-to-be-replaced Panasonic KX-TDA30).

Thanks,
    Phil.

8. jsmerriam

Do you have an ETA for a wallboard alternative? We are unable to upgrade (as many of other users have commented in other forums) until we have a wallboard-like feature. Thank you!

9. jholcombe

I noticed there are a few differences with the templates too, some significant. For example, the author of the Patton gateway templates changed from an @3cx.com address to an @patton.com address. There are some big changes in the way the templates are written between 12.5 and 14.

10. millennium2

Thanks for the update Nick.

I understand that 3CX version 14 still currently does not support redirecting the location of where Call Recordings are stored. Will the forthcoming service packs address this issue?

On v12.5 Cloud, we currently have all our Tenant's Call recordings redirected to the D Drive, which is a SAN connected to the Hyper-V server via ISCSI. This allows not only to minimize the storage used on the C Drive, but also allows for faster recoveries, as then we only have to recover the C Drive in the event of catastrophe (and then worry later about restoring the D Drive).

Any update on redirecting the Call Recording Folders would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

11. datamerge

datamerge New Member

With regards to streaming. Could there not be a UDP streaming port so that third party audio can be streamed directly and continuously to this port? A complementary external app could then be developed separately that can access various third party streaming sites and output on the dedicated UDP port. This would lend itself to third party developers as well.

Also, another nice feature would be an ftp moh repository, so fresh content can be managed from outside of the system management portal. The system could simply play whatever files are in the repository.

Finally. Multiple MOH sources with the ability to assign them to user groups, ring groups, queues, etc. There are many industries that require this. The auto industry is one where they want targeted MOH depending on where the user is waiting. This in combination with some form of external MOH content control as in the above two scenarios would be ideal.

Cheers

Mark

12. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

I'm ready to install two 3CX systems (total of 32 SC) at two radio stations. But, they absolutely want their on air audio fed into the phones so that callers, particularly those on hold waiting to go live on air, are able to hear what's going on. Any thoughts on how to achieve a working solution?

13. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

Not that I use line in feature, but if the feature is there why remove it and build a separate app? People might be doing some clever things with line in/out with the use of virtual audio cables, who knows.

14. AlexanderHanna

Hi Nick,

Will there be a way to import the BLFs for extensions. I love this feature! However, I have to do it for each extension.

Thanks

15. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Import BLF's... I would suggest this in the Idea forum. This might get some traction.

16. AlexanderHanna

Hi Nick,

I notice a major change with v14 SP1 regarding how Patton FXO gateways are configured. For example on a Patton SN4114 gateway which prior to SP1 would configure 4 ports (0, 1, 2, 3 - one for each analog line). This would allow me for example to route port 3 to receive incoming fax because the fax line was connected to port 3. However, with the new configuration, there is only one port which is like it is with a T1 gateway. The difference is that the T1 gateway uses DIDs so you can tell which line/number is being called. With the new config on a FXO gateway, I'm not able to tell which port the call has come in on especially when the analog line has no called/cllaer id information. I tried using 0, 1, 2, 3 as the DID numbers to indicate the port but I'm still having no luck.

In my case right now, I have a client with a private analog line connected to port 3 and I am trying to determine how to route this port to their extension and not the main office DR.

Thanks

17. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

is there any news about CDR API?
    We just installed 3CX V14SP1 for an Austrian Hotel which opens in ~20 Days .... and we are in big troubles if we don't get CDR API ... as they won't be able to bill their Guests for their Phone Calls ...
    Hope you got some good news for me?

Thx, bye from Austria
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

18. jholcombe

AlexanderHanna - I have the exact same issue. The templates have changed significantly for the Patton gateways, from 12 to 14. Looking at the header information in the template, it looks like the authorship of the template has changed from 3CX to Patton. The support contact is changed from 3CX to Patton in the templates. I agree, I like the way the old templates worked much better.

V12 header:
    #########################################################
    #
    # For Patton SN-4834/4114 4-port FXO
    # Supported firmware versions R6.x
    #
    # Author: Kevin Attard Compagno
    # Contact: kevin@3cx.com
    #

V14 header:
    #
    # For Patton 2 to 8 FXO
    # Supported firmware versions R6.x
    #
    # Author: Tommaso Missoni
    # Contact: support@patton.com
    #

19. Si_PEarson_LPC

Hi Nick

Regarding your point b. CDR API. Do you have any further information on this? I am currently trying to work with Oak to use their reports but they are saying that the new CDR doesn't show all call information so we cannot use their reports. I've also looked at TIM Plus but this uses the CDR output as well.

Many thanks,
    Simon

20. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

Hi Simon,

you might want to vote up my CDR Feature Request / add additional Information here: post179515.html

Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.