v14 Tunnel stops responding

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ratcliffes, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratcliffes

It appears to me that periodically (after a random amount of time but approximately one week or so) the Tunnel in v14 stops accepting new connections from the v14 iPhone client. A reboot of the Tunnel service corrects the problem but it reoccurs. I don't have any other devices which need the Tunnel so I can't test to see if (for example) the android client is similarly affected but I assume so.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I'm sure it would be better if the Tunnel didn't need to be re-booted but is there any way of scheduling a regular reboot of the tunnel service?

Thanks,

Steve Ratcliffe

2. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Have you tried to run this extensions as a direct remote extension? If not try and run as a direct extension to determine if that fixes the issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ratcliffes

Hi jpillow

Thanks for your suggestion but running the connection without a Tunnel is not an option. The extensions in question are 3cx iPhone clients running over 3/4G. Vodafone in the UK blocks voip traffic over its data network - encryption is the only way to make this work unfortunately but when the tunnel is functioning, it works really well.

Either way, if the tunnel service is not stable and regularly rebooting it is the only way to make it work, surely fixing the tunnel service to make it more stable is the way to go?

What I need is for my iPhone users to use the tunnel whenever they are outside the LAN so that they don't need to think about whether to turn on the tunnel or not. This will require that the tunnel service is more reliable than it currently appears to be.

I would really like to hear from others using v14 with iPhone clients to see if their Tunnel Service is reliable or whether it is just me.

Thanks

Steve Ratcliffe

4. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Hi Steve,

We see this issue infrequently, but it does happen. Phones will deregister and then we reset the tunnel and they are back again. I suspect Sipvicious is somehow involved but have no real evidence.

Best,
    Kirk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ratcliffes

Thanks Kirk,

I guess even if you have no evidence you must have a reason to be suspicious that SipVicious is the cause? I'd have thought the front door was more vulnerable than a locked and bolted back door but maybe I am being naive?

Cheers

Steve

6. Ratcliffes

OK - Looks like our issue was being caused by a memory leak in the Abyss web server which itself was caused by a bug in the firmware of our Snom 821 handsets.

3CX support detected the problem and have installed a fix which has resulted in our tunnel remaining up.

Anyone with a similar sounding problem should refer it to Support who in this case did a great job.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.