v14 upgrade automatically sent out provisioning file

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by livn46, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livn46

This is a warning for those going to do the v14 upgrade. Maybe everybody knows this, but somehow I missed it (or did something wrong?).

We have a test server, so that we can test out upgrades before we install the upgrade on production. This test server has a year-old copy of the live server (extensions, users, etc), to better simulate the real environment. I went through the install process for v14SP1 yesterday, no major problems, and then I restored this year-old backup, and it went through fine. I looked around the admin screens a bit, and then moved on to something else. Suddenly, I noticed an email in my mailbox, that said "Welcome to 3CX Phone System version 14!"; it was the welcome email/provisioning file. A chill went down my spine. Investigated a little bit and sure enough, a provisioning file had gone out to every single user on our phone system (minus personnel changes over the past year)! I had an embarrassing conversation with my boss and had to send a follow-up "Sorry, please ignore this previous email" message out to over 400 email addresses.

Now, I understand that all phones will need to be reprovisioned, because the ports changed, so the provisioning files have to be sent out. However, even on my production system, I need to warn people about this ahead of time, and I need to control when the emails go out: I don't want them to just go out indiscriminately to every phone user. Some of the extensions don't have a softphone (only a deskphone), so I wouldn't want to send them a provisioning file. Was there some warning that I missed that would've told me that this was going to happen? Some option I clicked mistakenly that caused this? I'm pretty embarrassed and feel angry that this was done without warning me. This must've been part of the restore process I guess? I would request that this be communicated a little better if it is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. forrest.mcfaddin

I had this same problem a little more than a month ago. I had a completely separate 3cx server to test upgrading from v12 to v14. After restoring a backup of my production environment, an email was sent to all 250+ staff, the majority of which WEREN'T EVEN AWARE A MOBILE CLIENT EXIST (yet).

Not sure why 3cx thought that this was a good idea.

Lesson learned: Do not specify email server settings when installing the 3CX udpate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.