Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

v14 upgrade automatically sent out provisioning file

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by livn46, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livn46

This is a warning for those going to do the v14 upgrade. Maybe everybody knows this, but somehow I missed it (or did something wrong?).

We have a test server, so that we can test out upgrades before we install the upgrade on production. This test server has a year-old copy of the live server (extensions, users, etc), to better simulate the real environment. I went through the install process for v14SP1 yesterday, no major problems, and then I restored this year-old backup, and it went through fine. I looked around the admin screens a bit, and then moved on to something else. Suddenly, I noticed an email in my mailbox, that said "Welcome to 3CX Phone System version 14!"; it was the welcome email/provisioning file. A chill went down my spine. Investigated a little bit and sure enough, a provisioning file had gone out to every single user on our phone system (minus personnel changes over the past year)! I had an embarrassing conversation with my boss and had to send a follow-up "Sorry, please ignore this previous email" message out to over 400 email addresses.

Now, I understand that all phones will need to be reprovisioned, because the ports changed, so the provisioning files have to be sent out. However, even on my production system, I need to warn people about this ahead of time, and I need to control when the emails go out: I don't want them to just go out indiscriminately to every phone user. Some of the extensions don't have a softphone (only a deskphone), so I wouldn't want to send them a provisioning file. Was there some warning that I missed that would've told me that this was going to happen? Some option I clicked mistakenly that caused this? I'm pretty embarrassed and feel angry that this was done without warning me. This must've been part of the restore process I guess? I would request that this be communicated a little better if it is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. forrest.mcfaddin

I had this same problem a little more than a month ago. I had a completely separate 3cx server to test upgrading from v12 to v14. After restoring a backup of my production environment, an email was sent to all 250+ staff, the majority of which WEREN'T EVEN AWARE A MOBILE CLIENT EXIST (yet).

Not sure why 3cx thought that this was a good idea.

Lesson learned: Do not specify email server settings when installing the 3CX udpate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.