Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

V15 - Snom D315 Direct SIP provisioning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by NetVu IT, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetVu IT

I can see the phone I want to provision listed in the phones list and assign it to an extension. Once this is done the phone then appears to register as I can see the extension and user name displayed on the handset. However the top line is showing "not registered: 660" and the phones list still shows the phone as if it were un-provisioned. Although I can dial and log into voicemail from the phone and it shows the directory, however if I try to make any other calls I get an engaged tone. I can't use DHCP option 66 as I already have another service using this. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what's up?

Cheers.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @NetVu IT

Can you please let us know of the firmware version the phone is running and if you are using the default templates? Also what version PBX are you running?
    Do you have the same issue with other devices?

3. NetVu IT

Hi, the phones have arrived with 8.9.3.28 and I've upgraded some to 8.9.3.46 to see if that makes a difference. I'm using the default templates provided by Standard edition 15.0.62928.5. I don't have any other devices to try as the only supported phones I have available are the D315, they're replacing Cisco 7912.

Edit: I should mention this is on the Debian version of 3CX.

Edit 2: Having looked through the Snom logs and seen a whole load of "[WARN ] SIP: stunserver pbx.servers.local:5060 is not answering, will try again in 300 seconds (see setting stun_binding_interval)" I removed the STUN setting from the handset and it's registered, at least until the handset re-provisions.
    How do I enable STUN on the server or remove it from the default provisioning template?

Edit 3: Updating the phone to the latest firmware has allowed it to provision and not re-add the STUN server after a reboot or re-provision, and it's now somewhat working in 3CX phones list. However it's listed as: Not Supported 8.9.3.46

#3 NetVu IT, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

The supported firmware for this phone is 8.9.3.57. Please upgrade to this (it is only available through the management console) and let us know if that works. Check in your Updates list in the management console to see if the firmware is available for download. You can also check in: /var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Http/Interface/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxxxx/firmware_new and firmware for the firmware.

5. NetVu IT

That's looking better, thanks.

Is there anyway of streamlining this? As it stands at the moment I have to first provision the phone. Then remove the STUN server setting from the phone to get it to appear as provisioned in the 3CX phone list. Then upgrade the firmware.

This may not seem like much, but by the time you factor in repacking the phones and waiting for provisioning and updating I'm probably going to lose another two days to deploying the remaining 51. I was expecting to just feed 3CX the MAC address, write the user's name on the box and forget about it until the handset was plugged in.

Cheers.

6. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Actually that is how it works. Once you upgrade one phone to the latest firmware then once you reboot or provision a different phone is should auto upgrade to the supported firmware. I have not seen your issue before to know what is causing it but normally phones do update automatically once you updated one. Stun should not cause an issue like that.

Are these remote extensions? what is pbx.servers.local ?

7. NetVu IT

And that's how it works once I've got the firmware to a supported version. I've tested it with a few, new out of the box, phones using the 8.9.3.28 FW they've arrived with. With each one I've had the issue where the STUN server setting is populated and prevents registration until it's removed. Other than this the provisioning seems to be doing what I'd expect as all the account details, address book etc are filled in on the handset settings.

[​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/FVFy3rh

The phone in the top line is assigned to an extension, but still has STUN enabled. When I remove the STUN setting it will register and show up as provisioned with an unsupported FW version. This then allows me to use the +Firmware button to update to the supported version. I've not tried to see if it auto updates. Once it's updated it appears as per the bottom line. It's the getting it to the right FW version that's time consuming.

If I don't remove the STUN setting then no matter what I do the phone stays as New in the 3CX Phones list and neither the +Firmware, Reboot, Reprovision nor +Config buttons are available.

Is there anyway to get my 3CX server to answer the STUN registration? I suspect if it were responding the Snom handsets would be quite happy to provision.

In answer to your questions, these are local extensions on the same VLAN/Subnet as the 3CX server. The pbx.servers.local is a pseudo FQDN that I used instead of the real internal domain to preserve a bit of privacy.

Cheers.

8. NetVu IT

I've got this working on Local LAN (sic), it turns out my problem was due to using the IP address on the Interface selection rather then the FQDN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.