V15 use SBC or VPN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by deanril@yahoo.com, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanril@yahoo.com

What would be best? Offload everything to a Session Border Controller or use VPN?

Thinking less overhead for routers on both ends if use of SBC. But does SBC cause more over head for PBX?

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Seemed the SBC overhead was "very little" on the PBX. Given the tunnel is in play already for the apps, having SBCs leverage it didn't seem to affect things much either way.

Things also seemed better not burdening the firewalls et al with VPN traffic, shaping the traffic, and dropping things into the LAN. I started with VPNs for a client back in 9.. when they went to 12.5 I sent their remote offices SBCs.

50/50 I guess.

3. aberry

aberry New Member

I haven't used the SBC, as my two sites already had VPN back to the main site where 3CX resides. Have had no issues over VPN.

4. IT Hamster

I've done this both ways.

One company would have routine issues with their VPN tunnels dropping so routing SBC traffic over the tunnel ports made more sense.

Those with stable VPN site-to-site didn't bother with an SBC as they just ran over the VPN connection.

It really comes back to what your environment can provide the most stable connections on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.