V5 - Where has "External extension" option gone?!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JamesC, Dec 7, 2007.

1. JamesC

Does anyone know why the "External extension" option has disappeared from the "Edit Extension" screen?

The help on that page still talks about it.

Has some change been made under-the-covers that means it's no longer required?

2. Mori

Mori New Member

Yes there has been changes.
    In v5 theres a VPN taken over that function working together with 3CX Client.

3. JamesC

That's a bit limiting isn't it? Does that mean a remote user can't use a hardphone unless they have that software running on a PC?!

What did that setting actually do?

I'm having problems calling a remote phone (connected via a VPN) with V5. IN V3 and with that setting ticked it works.

In V5 the remote party can hear me but I cannot hear them.

4. JamesC

Hmmm.. actually, without that setting ticked it still works in V3, so this must be a V5 specific bug.

Here's the exact set-up in case someone has some insight:

3CX server: 192.168.0.77 (in my office)
    My phone (GXP-2000): 192.168.0.83 (also in my office)

Remote phone (GXP-2000): 192.168.2.2 (connected via point to point VPN)

Calling from remote to office or the other way round always results in the remote phone getting audio and my phone getting silence.

Interestingly.. I can ping any IP on the remote LAN (192.168.2.x) EXCEPT the GXP-2000.

Likewise, you can ping any office IP (192.168.0.x) from the remote LAN EXCEPT my GXP-2000.

I assume this is some oddity with the phones network stack as opposed to a VOIP killing problem. Given that this configuration works on V3 it certainly all seems to be 3CX related.

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Please send a 3CXMediaServer.trace.log file on "stepan" e-mail box of 3CX.com.

Thanks

6. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Hi James,

I hit the same issue at V5. Since the 3CX box identified the different sub-net is external. It don't know which one even set as different sub-net but under VPN. Therefore, incoming voice at remote phone via VPN tunnel but out going will via WAN port bypass VPN tunnel.

The problem should be fixed by future version 3CX which can identify SIP phone at LAN, under VPN or at Internet.

At this moment, V3 should must more suitable for production. V5 RC2 just for UAT.

V5 RC 2 just for users who NO SIP devices (phone or gateway) at remote branches under LAN to LAN VPN.

7. JamesC

Thanks Ricky.

Unfortunately V3 has some bugs that make it unacceptable for production use. Namely:

1. The ring groups don't work properly. 3CX doesn't always ring every phone that is present in a ring group.

2. When the 3CX Windows machine boots all calls are disconnected after 32 seconds UNLESS you restart the 3CX Windows service once.

Bizarre eh?!

8. JamesC

Quick update on this.

I've side-stepped this issue by abandoning the VPN and routing the SIP traffic over the open Internet.

The only issue that remains is getting the audio working between the two remote extensions. From everything I've read this will be a firewall issue.

Do I need to open the same ports that the server needs open? 5060 and the 9xxx range? Or do I need to open the RTP ports? (As specified in the phones configuration).

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Are your extensions (remote) resided in the same local network and use the same gateway?

10. mbs1

hi,

Can some one please clarify if v5 supports remote extensions ( extension on a entirely different subnet from the pbx subnet. boith subnets being behind nat firewalls.

This did work on v3 with a setting extension is external but on upgrading to v5 ( free licence ) the remote extension shows as being registered but on placing a call i get

CM503011]: Call(11): Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown; msg=SipReq: INVITE 100@a.b.c.d:5060 tid=-475b2eee-a168-19de cseq=INVITE contact=104@e.f.g.h:5090 / 2 from(wire)

where a.b.c.d is static external ip at pbx end and e.f.g.h is static ip at remote extension end.

all relevant ports are opened at either end. problem has only manifested on upgrade to release build of v5.

it works fine if both sites linked by site to site vpn and i set the register address to private ip address of pbx server on remote phone.

thanks

mbs

11. mbs1

there is a similar post
    from archie
    Try to use your sipDomain in the settings of external phone.
    F.e. if you have sipDomain = sip.mydomain.com, set Registrar/Proxy at your phone to be sip.mydomain.com, and, if it is not resolvable FQDN, set external IP:port as outbound proxy for that phone.

i am not using sip domain and am using external IP:port as outbound proxy for phone

12. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

It just work for SIP device NOT under LAN to LAN VPN.

13. JamesC

No, the extensions are not on the local network.