V6.1 backup not working

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nathan, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan

Hi

I attempted to upgrade a client of mine from v6 to v7 last night. I upgraded from 6.x to 6.1 and all looked OK. I then ran the backup tool and saved the resulting zip file.

Then I uninstalled v6, manually cleaned up a few bits so that v7 would install. Then the backup would just not restore. I tried several times and then decided to go back to 6.1 and leave it for another day. Problem was the backup would not restore in 6.1 either. Luckily I was able to restore the c:\program files\3cx folder from the previous nights backup and get it back up and running that way.

The problem seems to be that the backup utility is not backing up all the tables in the database, I paid close attention to it after all the drama I had just been through. Is there a way to get some detailed logs from the backup tool on v6.1 so I can try and work out why it is not backing up?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. nathan

I have just run the backup tool again to get the error message.

Here is a screen shot of the backup tool

Attached Files:

3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Can you send the Backup File at lg@3cx.com please?

From the screenshot i cant make much out of it... But all i see missing is the Templates file.
    But i'll check it out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Hi Nathan,

Please notice that the V6.X call history should be unable restore back to V7.X at this moment. Backup the call history before upgrade to V7.X if in need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nathan

I have emailed the file through. Once we sort this out I will post back with what the problem was so that anyone else that comes across it might be able help themselves.

the v6 has been running fine, have had the system in for over a year.

6. nathan

the guys at 3CX got the backup file and a support info file and were able to send me back a working backup file. So I don't know what the problem was but they were able to sort it out.

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi the problem was the following:

In version 6 there was a little problem because the call records were being saved in XML format.

Now in a case like yours where you have around 850 000 lines of records, the xml became too large. The restore was loading all this xml file in memory and the system runs out of memory - (imagine opening a huge test file - Notepad and most text editors will crash. - this is the same).

We removed the call logs from the backup. Otherwise We had no option to save your data configuration.

The correct procedure had to be like this:
    export the call logs,
    Then Purge the database with the -purge command (emptying it from call logs),
    take a normal backup and
    restore.

Then import the call logs separately using the calllog importer. The restore will work then because the xml would have been much smaller.

In 7 this can never happen again - because the call history is not saved in XML any more. It is saved in txt and injected directly to the database making it much easier and quicker to import. Therefore in 7 you will have the configuration setup in XML and the call history is restored separately. Hence the machine will never have an xml so large to give a memory exception.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

8. nathan

thanks again

now I just have to sort out the problems with attended transfers not working.... will test and get some verbose logging later and post it up.

Nathan

9. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What is the problem with attended transfers?

What phones are you using? (make model and firmware of the 3 phones involved

What are the symptoms you are encountering? If you give me this information i might be able to help (if the phones are supported)

What version of 3CX are you using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.