v6 client: bad ui design;)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Thona, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thona

Just some minor issues I have with the v6 user interface design:

RIght side, list of extenions:
    * It can not be filtered, which is not good if you have many.
    * It can not be turned OFF. The "-" button does neve move it lower than one line - some people may not care about it.
    * The list behaves wrong. I get immediate dial when I press on a name. It would be nice if that would not happen - the list is NOT "visible" as a button that triggers a dial, and it may make sense to havea context menu there one day, or some other things. I would rather have it only enter the number on the left, and dial only on a double-click

That sort of is it ;) Well, and the unstable graphics, but that is something that i hope you can repro soon.

2. Thona

I do not say put it onto a context menu. I say that the list is not buttons - so it should SELECT on click (so that you CAN select a context menu - maybe you will have a "ring when hangs up" one day there).

Standard would be:

* Click on select, then allow keyboard navigation
    * Dial on double click

I personally found it disturbing that it actually starts dialin the moment you click on it.

On top, I find the audio pin when you select one very disturbing, too. But then, this may not be "click on list" but "dial number" for the ping.

The list definitly is not a button.

That said, for "real use" I would like it to be more powerfull. Order them (not "by name", but in groups you set up) and hide those you do not need. Otherwise I fear the list will get long fast.

3. darrellchapman

I totally agree with the filtering. In my office we have over 60 extensions and to list all of them takes up way too much space. It would be nice if each client could filter for only extensions that were in their department, etc. Also, I recommended to the 3CX Team that this should be a feature in the server as well (whether an extension shows up in the directory).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Thona

Add grouping and sorting to it.

And you are right with the idea to hide some. Imagine a call center and a receptionist. She will never pput calls through to an outgoig call center agend - still the ton of people clog up the list.

And hide all the important people.

If she could organize them (important on top, grouped etc.) it would be a lot more convenient ;)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi there.

We appreciate the feedback. If you place these in the feature request forums the request can be improved by the community and I'm sure these features will eventually be in the client!

6. Thona

Will be done ;)

Sorry? What else is the voip client than a softphone?

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Re: v6 client: ui feedback ;)

We are definitely considering improving the current interface or creating a totally new operator panel.

we also have grouping coming up soon in new versions (not sure if it will make it in to v7 though)

Probably it will be easier for us to develop this in .NET...

This is on the road map.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.