v7 3CX Soft Phone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by snfc21, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snfc21

Hello,
    I need to know where the newest (v7) 3CX softphone keeps its account settings. The last versions had it in a .ini file, the new one doesn't have it. I need to give it for install to a lot of people who had previous version. On previous version I just handed over the config file and the .msi installer, but for this one I don't know how to do it since I see no config file.

Where is it? :)

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    If you refer the 3CX Voip Phone (NOT the Voip CLIENT) the config file is "C:\Program Files\3CX VoIP Phone\3CXVoipPhone.ini".

Be VERY careful when you "distribute" such kind of file, since it generally contains local IPs, local net addressed and local device GUIDs - which most often does not match another machine. If your computer has a Soundmax audio card and your phone use it, and the other compter has an Audigy, be sure they won't match. If your local IP is 10.0.0.1 and this IP is used into a connection profile, definitely that connection won't work on a machine havig 192.168.1.3 local IP. The Voip Phone won't crash in such situations, but for sure people you distribute files will have a lot of work to do.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. snfc21

No sir, I had this:

C:\program files\3CX VoIP Phone
    3CXVoipPhoneApp.exe

Which indeed has an ini file called 3CXVoipPhone.ini

The problem is that I installed the new one:

C:\program files\3CX VoIP Client
    3CXVoipClient.exe

For which I cannot find a config file.

Giving my colleagues the 3CXVoipPhone.ini file worked very well in the past. Now that I want to update to 3CX Voip Client, I cannot do that since I don't seem to be able to find the .ini file where the account details (user, password, sip server, dtmf settings) are located.

So what i actually need is to know where the config files for the 3CX VoIP Client are located (even if its registry i still can write a .reg file for every user).

The people using it are in the same network (172.16.x.x) and all have identical computers, so it won't be a problem with devices (sound cards and so on).

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, snfc

First of all, it's not necessary to be "sir" each other, at least for me sounds too... formal, I prefer something warmer, what do you think to call me Vali? :p 8)

Ok, back to your question:
    the Voip CLIENT configuration file it's available into the machine's current logged user profile folder, such as
    "C:\Documents and Settings\logged_user\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Client\Phone.ini"

Well, additional to previous advices, there is another one: the Voip Phone is a NEWER and the NEWEST phone compared to Voip Client ver.7 you have. At this moment, I'm not able to tell if and when we will provide a new release for the Voip Client, but soon a new one for the Voip Phone will be available. Therefore, my advice is - if you don't need right now the presence list provided by the Voip Client, use the Voip Phone; for the presence list, a separate, dedicated module will be released soon also.

Cheers
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. snfc21

Thanks for the info Vali.
    I did a search (windows search) but apparently I did not look in hidden folders and so on. I was searching for the files containing the ip address of our sip gateway.
    Is there any way you could specify (or change) somehow the location of the settings file? It's gonna be a headache to do this for temporary users (the ones that don't log in to our domain controller. for the others, i'll just copy it in every profile).

PS: i thought that version 7 i just downloaded was latest (it certainly looked better than the one i have installed).

Dan

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Dan 8)

No, unfortunately it's not possible, and that's because of a simple reason - as user want to know ini's location, the Voip Client also need this information, so it would mean to have two ini files, one "fixed" to be known by the phone, but in which to write location of the user's one to let also the phone know. So anyway you cannot avoid the ini being into a fixed, well-known by the phone, location. Basically, these are configuration files, they should be known first by the program, an just then by the user (computer controls our life :mrgreen: )

Regards
    vali

7. snfc21

Hi Vali,

I'm used to the unix style when doing programming. Where you can specify the location of the config file :)

What I'm asking is: is it possible to have the config file in the same folder as the exe file? (as it is with 3CX Voip Phone). And if it is, then how to do it? This greatly simplifies things when it comes to deployment. It will be less scripting and also easy to administer in the future .

PS: other questionn: what if user profiles are on D drive and not on C?

Dan

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi again

My knowledges about Unix are... :oops:

About the last question - there is no problem if user profiles are set on D, E or tweaked to any folder, Voip Client ask the system where this folder is located, therefore will search in the proper place.

And this was also an answer for the second question - no, it's not possible for the Voip Client to have the ini file in the same folder as the exe file, or in any other place than system knows as "[current] user's profile", sorry for inconvenience.

vali

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi Dan,

It is possible to place it (the ini file) in the folder of .exe file but... in "multiuser" environment it will not be correct :)
    If you are using "unix style when doing programming" then you can use following "batch" file to install it (the ini file) in proper place:

mkdir "%APPDATA%\3CX VoIP Client"
    copy Phone.ini "%APPDATA%\3CX VoIP Client"

Thanks
    P.S. It is for Windows XP I had no chance to verify how it works under other systems, sorry

10. snfc21

Hi

I think its actually :

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Client

Because %APPDATA% takes me here:

C:\Documents and Settings\dan\Application Data

Also, is there any problem if I will use this batch on Vista as well? (Vista doesn't store user profiles in Documents and Settings, but in C:\Users... , altough %USERPROFILE% and %APPDATA% and the other system variables are updated accordingly (and if the softphone uses this variables, it will get the .ini file from where it is.

Btw, which environment/system variable is the phone using? %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX Voip Clinet ? or which one?

11. snfc21

Ok, I managed to make it work.
    The problem I have with it is that it starts minimized in tray. How can I avoid that? I need it to "pop-up" when it starts :)

Dan

12. snfc21

Hi,

Bringing back to life this thread :D

I don't understand all the legal requirements/terms of use for the V7 softphone.

What I want to do is to create an installer that asks for your phone/extension number and a password for installation. Then it configures everything (such as sip server, dtmf, codecs, tunnel,etc) in the Phone.ini file and installs it into your PC.

What would be the legal requirements for me to be able to do this?

Thanks,
    Dan

13. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Dan

I don't know how I missed your first question, about starting the phone windowed, not hidden in tray :oops:

If you refer the 3CX Voip Phone, then please check for its startup shortcut - it's placed into user's local data folder, a file such as "C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\3CXVoipPhone". Do a rightclick on it and choose Properties. Into the Target field you will see something like "C:\Program Files\3CX VoIP Phone\3CXVoipPhoneApp.exe" minimize. Remove the minimize, press Apply, then at every Windows logon on your account the Voip Phone will start normal, windowed.

Be careful at two things
    - Voip Phone is designed to work as "per-user" application. Therefore, this change affect only Dan@domain user; for another user you will have to do this change again.
    - The shortcut is created when you check, into the phone's Preferences dialog, the "Automatically starts at Windows logon" option, and is deleted when you uncheck it. Therefore, if you do the manual change then you uncheck the option, the shortcut will be deleted and, accordingly, your work will be lost.

Then, about legal requirements about you're asking, I have no clue, I suggest you to ask our sales department.

Regards
    vali

14. snfc21

Hi Vali,
    I am saying that its starting minimized in tray (near-the-watch tray), no matter if I start it manually or from Startup/Registry.
    Otherwise everything else is working fine.

A small suggestion for this (if u guys are still developing it):
    Instead of playing dial tone all the time, the voip phone could play some "digits" sounds when dialing a number.
    Same applies for DTMF. When in a call, dialing dtmf is silent (altough dtmf digits are being sent, you hear nothing on your headset/speakers). Its kind of annoying if anybody else plays digits ( linksys/sipura, cisco and other voip phones as well as other softphones).

Dan

15. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Dan

I think I found the problem - you're speaking about 3CX Voip Client; this one is no longer under development, its last release has been in early January, if I remember.

Regards
    vali

16. snfc21

You are saying you found the problem. What is it? :)

Dan

17. sanilbd

the Voip Phone is a NEWER and the NEWEST phone compared to Voip Client ver.7 you have. At this moment, I'm not able to tell if and when we will provide a new release for the Voip Client

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.