V9 - G722 Support - what does this refer to?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pjr, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjr

pjr New Member

I have just upgraded from v8 to v9 and note that one of the new features listed is

"G722 Codec Support"

Was this implemented at all (if so, what does this mean?), or is it coming in v10 and just wasnt removed from the documentation for v9?

Thanks

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

To quote Nicky Borg...

In Version 10 3CX Media server will natively support G722.

3. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

In versions prior to 9 - G722 can be negotiated, but it may cause unexpected problems.
    In v9 - it is not the issue anymore but some devices don't provide reliable procedure to switch the codec and may stop to handle some call scenarios.
    In v10 - G722 will be handled as always available. It will resolve issues related to v9

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pjr

pjr New Member

Thanks for the confirmation Stepan.

The main issue I encoutered on v8 with G722, was that when internal calls used G722 between phones, when they were placed on hold, the end user heard no hold music (which the server sends as G711) due to the renegotiation process (we are using Polycom phones).

Is this issue still likely to be present in v9?

Thanks

Paul

5. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Paul,

You may want to read this post...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/polycom-ip-450-and-ip-335-can-t-blind-transfer-internally-18065.html

... us Polycom users need to hold our breath until 3CX v10 in the new year and all our problems, hopefully, will go away :) (apart from the SPIP's not having STUN).

6. pjr

pjr New Member

Ive read that and am holding off upgrading to SP4 as a result

I also read this too which is a little worrying

http://www.3cx.com/forums/polycom-echo-issue-after-upgrade-to-v9-sp4-18125.html#p91480

Paul

7. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Personaly I've had no echo with SP4, call quality has not degraded at all.

The 7000 conference phone is not listed as a supported product by 3CX though so it's used at your own risk ?, maybe they could try the 3.2.3 SIP firmware and downgrade again if it makes no difference ?.

8. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I'm using the latest firmware from Polycom on my Ip7000 Phone with no echo issues or any other issues really.

Although i don't know where the IP7000 post fits in the G722 discussion, i just want to clarify that i haven't tested the IP7000 with G722, but have tested it with the other most common codecs supported by our system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.