V9 very long delay on vm response**FIX PROVIDED

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by carolinainnovative, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinainnovative

Re: V9 very long delay on vm response

Dave -
    The IVR web service is little more than an ASP.Net application run under either IIS or Abyss.

As such, what this sounds like (and what the other thread described) was that the ASP.Net application that runs the IVR is timing out and shutting down. While the 3cx guys didn't explicitly say that, "abyss unloading the files" sounds like "abyss is unloading the unused asp.net app." ASP.Net apps typically shut themselves down after 10 or 20 minutes of inactivity.

You're going to have the same issue with IIS - regardless of version.

Try this - see if it fixes it.

Download this application: http://www.smartertools.com/forums/t/14404.aspx

Its called SmarterPing. Install it on your pbx machine. Configure it with the url of the ivr - something to the effect of http://localhost:5484/ - and set it to ping it every 5-10 mins. That should keep the application from unloading on you. You could do the same with the management and myphone apps if you wanted...

I have NOT checked with 3cx support to see if this will resolve the issue... but based on my (extensive) experience with ASP.Net, I'd say its worth a shot.

Let us know if this works!

2. carolinainnovative

In all reality, it isn't a bug - and most of the time, the asp.net application re-starting shouldn't cause that much of a delay. For most systems, it might happen once or twice a day and most of them are likely on fast enough systems that the delay is more like 1 second or less. I know on mine, my IVR isn't hit that much - and I _MIGHT_ see a 2 second delay - MIGHT. So again - it isn't a bug, per se.

That being said, it might be nice if they included an optional pinger util somewhere in one of their services that kept the IVR service awake - but I doubt that will be any sort of priority...

3. carolinainnovative

for system prompts, IVR = VM. The IVR handles spewing out the various prompts - be they VM prompts, IVR prompts, etc... if the system is speaking to you, it comes from the IVR. So when I speak of IVR, I am talking about both.

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi guys - I will make the next build default to 1 day timeout.

In the meantime do this.

Go to program files/3cxphonesystem/bin/webserver

Open abyss.conf

Search for section
    Root/Server/Host/scripting/fastcgi/timeout

Set this to something other than 240. In the next build it will be 1 day like in IIS (24 hours) 86400
    Do not set it more than 1000000 (11 days)

Code:
    <root>
    	<server>
    		<parameters>	
    		<host>
    			<scripting>
    				<fastcgi>
    					<timeout>
    						86400 ******* Max 1000000
    					</timeout>
    				</fastcgi>
    				etc etc

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you have a PBX that's IVR or VoiceMail is used once per day, i think it's a good idea that the system unloads some resources once every 24 hours. Don't you agree?

But if you're a business that uses the IVR and Voice Mail on a regular basis, why would you want to unload the resources when they are being used so often? So hence the 24 hour timeout.

Don't you agree with this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

You can try it. I would want cache to be unloaded after 24 hours. Of course I am thinking of a busy system and my main concern is to keep cache healthy and clean.

Keep in mind that before, if you used to make 1 IVR/Voicemail call every 4 hours (240 sec), you could replicate this problem. It is very unlikely that you do not make/receive 1 call in 24 hours. So you know that you have your whole working day covered for sure. Then times out if it is not used after 24 hours however then it is time for the next working day to start.

Now that I am thinking, the only problem we might have is after a weekend for example. However I think it is acceptable that if no calls occurred in the weekend, the first call that comes in to voicemail on Monday morning yes will have a 5 sec delay but it will not fail. Exchange does the same thing.

Try it if you want. No problem. Maybe you can give us feedback on this.

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This is about webserver health and keeping the cache clean and healthy is important. Resources must be unloaded. Now in your case it might need to unload once a month, and in other cases we would need fresh cache always present. A webserver needs to unload resources to get rid of stale cache or corrupt files yes.

Even your browser might have corrupt cache - let alone a webserver receiving hits and serving all the time. It is a matter of precaution.

8. pauladams

--- deleted by author --- bad idea. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.