V92 Softmodem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by retellect, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retellect

Based on the topic you have probably figured what my question is going to be :D My first install of 3cx and it looks great so far, successfully added 2 voip gateways and they work fine, allowing me to make and receive calls using softphones and a Cisco IP phone I acquired.

Can I use a normal V92 controller-less softmodem as a bridge between voip and pstn (for free local calls)? I've seen some people using modified drivers that allow these modems to pass-through, particularly on Asterisk . The answer is no right? I suppose loads of people have surplus voice/data modems, who knows if someone wrote a CPU efficient driver to support this!? haha

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You are correct....you require a Gateway, for a connection to PSTN lines.

3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Its not just a driver issue. 3CX only communicates via SIP. For an internal card to work, be it a modem card or even a Digium FXO/FXS card) you first need a Windows driver to communicate with the card and then you need some additional software that communicates with the card and creates a SIP trunk that 3CX can talk to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.