Various problems, at wits end

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dhillkc, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dhillkc

First--I'm not a VOIP or networking professional. Everything I've learned I've learned from your FAQs, guides, and this forum (which is awesome!). So, please excuse me if I ask something silly or am missing the 500 pound gorilla in the room.

I am a running v2.0.1618.0 on my personal PC (XP Pro SP2, Intel 2.61GHz, 2Gig of RAM). I have two Grandstream 2000 SIP phones connected to a D-Link DIR-625 router on an internal network, configured per your manual. I use Broadvoice as my VOIP provider (single line for 2 extensions); however, I just made this change from Time Warner Cable Digital phone service and am running through their Webstar phone/cable modem until service is canceled.

My issues:

I'm confident that my configuration is correct, because 85% of all inbound/outbound calls work perfectly fine. IVR works. VM works, etc. I've been using VQManager and consistentlly get good results (QoS=4.4; avg 4.3 on testmyvoip.com). I also have excellent bandwidth through an upgrade in my cable subscription.

Unfortunately, I'm having completely random problems such as:
    --Dropped calls
    --Connection is so poor, I get asked to call from a different number
    --Callers tell me they dialed my extension, but got an error message
    --Voice quality garbled during call for brief periods (and seems to be related to PC resources, but not sure)
    --Phone occasionally doesn't dial the correct number (yes, I made sure I wasn't mis-dialing)
    --Can't regularly use the keypad to select choices on others' prompt menu

I have tried without success to replicate these issues to no success. I've attempted to isolate my system components individually (software, phone, router) but came up empty. I'm really at a loss on what to do about these pesky quirks.

Then, my questions:

1. Is it an issue to be running the software on a non-dedicated machine (i.e., one that I'm also using for work/browsing/etc.)?
    2. If not, should I somehow up the processing priority for the software?
    3. Could the Time Warner Digital Phone modem somehow be causing issues?
    4. Is my expectation for less than 1% error rate unrealistic for free software?
    5. Am I missing something obvious?

Any insight or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying desperately to get this to work for my business, but with its current performance I'm considering scrapping the whole system (which I hate to do b/c I've invested HOURS upon HOURS in getting it to work).

Finally, thanks to the 3cx support team and this forum, I couldn't have gotten this far without you.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah the wheels are spinning but no movement. Lovely. Ok i have not a solution but I will try to explain what I think per problem and question.

Then, my questions:

1. Is it an issue to be running the software on a non-dedicated machine (i.e., one that I'm also using for work/browsing/etc.)?

No no issue at all, 3cx is very sociable with other applications. What you might want to investigate is to exclude the 3cx directory from your virus scanner this will
    have security implications and you have to decide for yourself if that is acceptable. All it will do is prevent the virus scanner to scan the log files etc. the virus
    scanner tends to latch onto files that are accessed.

2. If not, should I somehow up the processing priority for the software?
    Not needed, the OS will do that just fine.

3. Could the Time Warner Digital Phone modem somehow be causing issues?
    I reckon you might be onto something there, not so much the modem but the network after the modem. A lot of your issues are network related by the looks of it.

4. Is my expectation for less than 1% error rate unrealistic for free software?
    I am not worried about the errors, but I guess you are talking about availability and usability being 99% (LOL). No I do not think that is unreasonale but
    99% availability of what and when :). For example I am running 3cx (not till its full extend yet) and I have yet to experience a down system.
    Mind you I had a few complaints from the missus (boss) that there was some jitter (in your terms 'Voice quality garbled') so i am trying to solve that where it
    should be solved (network and ATA)

5. Am I missing something obvious?
    No I do not think you miss anything obvious, although there might be a 500 pound gorilla in the corner but i do not know how big your office is :).
    All we can do is trying to help you, now we know where you are comming from we will try to explain and elaborate on the possible options and issues.

Conclusion:

From what I see you have a network issue, you should introduce QoS/CoS and you can configure this on the phones, your computer and the SPA it needs to be configured
    at all these devices and using the same "protocol". That will help your network allong, also you should check for network congestion.
    I assume you are not using wireless devices etc but if you do let me know.

Second you have to get stuck into you ISP/VSP and ask them how they do their VoIP if it gets priority on the network and if so how they determine what a VoIP/SIP
    packet is. The good answer is that they use QoS and/or CoS. The better answer is that they use a seperate "type" network for routing VoIP.

Third check the network connection between you and your VSP/ISP you can do this by pinging to the server of your VSP/ISP best would be to use the domain name they gave
    you to use for configuring the voip to. (use tracert that gives you a good overview) everything above 200ms is not good. (workable but not good).

Ok that will give you some "home work" let us know how you go.

Henk.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

First of all, and most importantly, you are running an old version of the software. Upgrade to the latest and final version and try again.

I think you will find most issues will be resolved, providing its not your VOIP provider causing some of these issues. Keep in mind that the to get it all running perfectly it requires both 3CX Phone System AND your VOIP provider to be working 100%.

3CX Phone System runs 100% error free if used with phones and voip providers we have tested with. Software that does not work 100% is of no use to anyone, free or not.

We now have numerous installations in which it is working well. It can be that unsupported VOIP providers need some tweaking in the configuration files, or that they dont work, but generally we can make most VOIP providers work.

If you are willing to give us the account details, we are ready to try it out with all popular VOIP providesr and analyze what is going on, and provide a ready made template for the provider if we can get it to work.

Let us know how it goes after the upgrade!

4. dhillkc

Henk and Nick,

Thank you both for your helpful responses. As suggested, I upgraded to the newest version and tweaked my QoS settings in my router to give the VOIP calls a higher priority. I'm pleased to report that I have not experienced any of the problems I previously reported. *fingers crossed* It appears to be working perfectly now.

Incidentally, in case others are curious, I am connecting wirelessly to one extension using a D-Link DIR-625 Extreme N router and a D-Link Xtreme N Desktop Adapter (DWA-552). All features and voice quality are equal to the phone connected to the router via Cat5. Haven't had an issue with wireless at all.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate your assistance.