• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

vendor specific global provisioning via DHCP option 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank D

Reaction score
Hi,

we are running our phones in a separate VLAN (VLAN enabled), so we can use the hubs of the desktop phones.

Now we want to use DHCP option 66, so the phones autoprovision even after a complete reset (at the moment we have to configure the correct VLAN manually on the phones first).

Most of our phones are Yealink. We are using windows Server 2008 R2 DNS/DHCP Server
I have read the manual here http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/dhcp-option-66/. I want to configure DHCP globally. We have different brands of phones and some other devices in the network, too, which should not use the Yealink URL to autoprovision.
So I guess, we have to use a Vendor-specific option 66. Does this mean we have to configure Option 43 (vendor-encapsulated-options)? Or do I miss some settings configuring option 66 directly? How do I have to configure Option 43?

Best regards

Frank

We only need DHCP, if the phone is reset or new? Do you disable DHCP option 66 for provisioned phones? Maybe it is useful, e.g. if the provisioning URL changes due to an update of 3cx or a changed server configuration.

I am a little afraid, that the already provisioned phones will start to reboot as soon as we enable option 66 on our DHCP server.

But option 66 should not cause any new provisioning cycles, does it? It only take effect if the phone is about to reprovisioning(e.g. power on, or event check sync reboot) right?

one more update:

„The update mode is used to set the desired time for the IP phone to perform the auto provisioning process. This chapter introduces the following update modes in detail:
• Power On
• Repeatedly
• Weekly
• Auto Provision Now
• Multi-mode Mixed
• SIP NOTIFY Message“

The order is: Zero Touch-->PnP Server-->DHCP Options (Custom option-->option 66-->option 43) -->Phone Flash
http://www.yealink.com/Upload/T4X/GA/Ye ... 71_150.pdf
page 20 ff

So the provisioning methods are completely independent from the time shedule of updates. I just needed to be sure, before messing things up for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.