ver. 15 w/ PRI outbound callerID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by business54, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. business54

So I have a weird issue. Customer complained that calls out showed caller ID of "Unknown" or "Restricted". I have their 3CX client on my laptop for testing and have found that calls to land lines and SIP trunks have the customers caller ID information (phone number and company name) but calls to cell phones only show up as "unknown" or "restricted". This makes zero sense....please help...I'm going bald on this one.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are passing on the caller ID correctly, and it sounds as if you are given the fact that it shows correctly on some "destinations", then it sounds as if your provider, or the provider they are using, is not passing the number on certain routes. This might be because of how you are sending, it and how it is interpreted by another carrier.

Do the blocked numbers only occur only on certain mobile providers, or all?

I would work with your VoIP provider, to trace their routing towards the mobile carrier affected, to determine why the number is not being passed on.

3. business54

I have tested to Comcast POTS line, Ironton Global SIP trunk and only Verizon Wireless for cellular. I will track down another carrier phone to test. I will open a ticket with the PSTN provider and see if they can tell me what they are seeing hit their network. Thank you leejor.

4. business54

The issue only lies within the Verizon/ Verizon Wireless networks (that we know of). The local carrier sent me this when I reached out to them: " I looked at this with translations. We are now finding that something has changed in the Verizon name data base network. Please change on the PBX, the number you are sending out for name to “national calling” instead of “unknown”. This has fixed this issue. We have had issues with other PRI customer’s and this has been the resolution since nothing is blocked on our end. " I'm looking through the Patton gateway and 3CX but do not see any place to change this....has anybody else seen it?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...when you call out to a Verizon customer does the number show correctly, but with a name of "restricted"?Or do you suspect that Verizon is blocking the number because of the name (restricted?) you are sending? Does your provider mean to say that you should change the name that you are sending to "national calling"?

In many cases a name is attached to a calling number at the PSTN provider end after a "Dip" into a database. If a name is already attached, it will over-ride this (again, in most cases). As a mobile provider only sends numbers out to subscribers, it never has to do a name dip. The name you are sending may be causing some issue at the Verizon end, but they should be able to deal with this as you won't be the only one doing this. I would contact Verizon (hopefully ending with up talking to someone technical) to get their take on what's happening.

You can try changing the name display on an extension to whatever your provider says should work, as a test.

6. business54

The company name and number are being overriden to VZ calls and showing up as "Restricted" or "Unknown"; the number is getting lost in translations...
    Customer wants only the main line to show as outbound number (no DID's).

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would still confirm with Verizon that they are taking it upon themselves to remove the number because of a particular name being sent. If the mobile phone does not receive a number, then I can understand the "unknown" display. I'm not certain why the phone would display "restricted", that would have to be the result of a message that Verizon is sending in place of the number, in the same manner as an "O", or a "P" being sent to a PSTN display causing it to show Out of Area, or Private. Verizon would have to explain their actions.

8. tratz

tratz New Member

Have the exact issue with AT&T mobility. Called carrier and patton. Confirmed the issue is with 3cx. We were running V 12.5 and everything worked and then upgraded to V15 and it stopped working. Waiting on 3cx for a fix.

--Tracy

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@tratz
    How did you confirm that the issue is with 3CX? Do you have a ticket with us so i can take a look?
    If not do you have a wireshark capture so we can see the issue?

10. tratz

tratz New Member

Ticket # 135677 opened for me by reseller. Yiannish the issue comes from the fact that you built an outbound function to convert the number being pulsed out to the patton (which comes in as unknown) to a national number. In V12.5 when you send a call to a PRI you included the outbound function. In V15 when you send a call to the huntgroup function the OUTBOUND function is omitted. I can my reseller the updated config with the correct entry in it.

--Tracy

11. tratz

tratz New Member

My issue was that when the patton was sending out numbers by default it takes it as an unknown number. When sending out that to carriers, depending on the carrier, they may or may not accept the type unknown number. We ran into the issue with AT&T where any number called from the PBX displayed unknown even though we sent the correct caller id. There is the outbound function that converts the unknown number type to a national type. Since that function wasn't being called, it never changed the numbers. After making the one line change, all numbers are being sent out correctly on AT&T.

--Tracy

12. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Tracy,

As mentioned in the ticket, we came in contact with Patton to inquire about this, as they are the experts when it comes to their devices. They had told us that this should not be necessary and truth be told, we have not had this complaint from many other users which is strange because I know that there are many 3CX users with Patton ISDN/T1 devices in the US, and I assume that a lot must be using AT&T as it is one of the larger Telcos.

Given your feedback, I will contact them again to get another take on the matter and ask them again if they feel something should be changed on our default template.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to update us on your findings.

13. tratz

tratz New Member

Nick:

Believe me Im not an expert on Patton devices but after comparing what i had in V12.5 to V15, the template does build out those functions it just doesn't call them. I would agree with you that AT&T is a very large telco and maybe recently they turned on that blocking feature as it doesn't affect people with Verizon, or any of the other mobile carriers. I can definitely confirm that there is something wrong either with the template the generation of the config file because while i have three PBXes and three Pattons, I didn't modify any of the configuration files on two of them and all three had the exact same problem. After reading about 200 pages out of the 700+ manual to figure out the config, I realized what the error was and then looked at what was generated in V12.5 and what was generated in V15 and saw that while it wrote out an outbound function, it never used it while in 12.5 it did.

--Tracy

14. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I have updated the ticket you have on our support portal. Check it and let me know.

15. business54

I added these lines to the Patton Gateway and caller ID is now good to go:

routing-table called-e164 RT_FROM_SIP
    route default dest-interface IF_ISDN_0 ISDN_NATIONAL

mapping-table calling-type-of-number to calling-type-of-number MAP_TO_NATIONAL
    map unknown to national

mapping-table calling-numbering-plan to calling-numbering-plan NATIONAL
    map unknown to isdn-telephony

complex-function ISDN_NATIONAL
    execute 1 MAP_TO_NATIONAL
    execute 2 NATIONAL

interface sip IF_SIP
    bind context sip-gateway GW_SIP
    route call dest-table RT_FROM_SIP
    remote XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (IP of 3CX)

16. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

But why you had to do this? Don't our templates do this for you automatically? This was working. If not we will contact patton.
    These templates are templated in the US - and they target for us and eu carriers. They cannot be shipped and not work.

What was the problem? I see you added a complex function for normalization to national format. But how can that change from restricted to number? telco will not restrict an international or local number. If someone can summarize the problem in point form I can check. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. business54

This was a new install at a new location. I reached out to Patton and sent them my gateway config and the info provider sent. I'm not sure why the config from the 3CX didn't have this in place. I would think all or most PRI's and carriers would require this for the proper CLID info to pass. Here is a link to the support doc.
    https://www.patton.com/support/kb_art.asp?art=464

Also it would be nice to be able to have the default gateway added into the Patton config file.

18. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Send me device model. In detail. ISDN type, carrier, Template, 3CX version and a short description of the problem.
    If you have a modified template send it also. I will forward this for advice to patton. Maybe it might well be something that is an improvement for public in your telephony conditions. If I get everything correctly, this case in particular should work out of the box with 3CX. And I know installs that have this working 100%. So I want to check. Send me pm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. ecom2

@nickybrg @Craig G
    I apologies first of all to write a new topic here since i am having trouble to start a new topic. seem not available on my account.
    On my 3cx, (Hosted)
    Lets say i have different trunk and gateway , each have a phone number. i want when when someone is calling to trunk A with DID 123 then on my softphone when the call come it appear Trunk A + the incoming call's id of course just to know on which trunk customer is calling. i have tried to play with the inbound parameters , but nothing seem to work as i want or it look a little bit tricky. can you help and show me the right way to do it.

Thanks and i would be much appreciate.
    Regards,
    Uzzy
    ECOM

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

ecom2
    A name, to identify origination, can be added in a number of ways, before or after the caller ID. This can be done through Ring groups, Queues and DID's.
    Go down to To add a DID: in this...
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/trunk-management/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.